Worm Snake??

South African snakes commonly known as non-venomous, including the Natal rock python (Python natalensis).

View Gallery

Worm Snake??

Postby Mitton » Sat Dec 29, 2007 10:12 pm

Hey
My Girlfriend found this little guy in her parents garden in Springs and we are not sure what it is. We can't find anything that looks exactly like it in Johan Marais' book, the head is not the same as the ones in the book. Can someone help from this crappy pic, it just did not want to sit still and smile for the camera.

Mitton
Forum gatekeeper

Postby alexander » Sat Dec 29, 2007 11:16 pm

That looks like a dwarf burrowing skink of sorts and you therefore won't find it in a snake book, where exactly is Springs? Remember to send into SARCA.
Life is but a glimpse of triumph amongst incomprehensible failure.
alexander
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Pythonodipsas » Sat Dec 29, 2007 11:19 pm

This is most definitely a legless skink. Probably the Acontias genus and i would guess by looking at the tail that its a 'Thin-tailed legless Skink' Acontias gracilicauda

If so the belly should be lighter than the body?
`
If you wanna find out what's behind these cold eyes, you'll just have to claw your way through this disguise.
Roger Waters & David Gilmour - 1979
Pythonodipsas
SAReptiles Techie

Postby gino » Sun Dec 30, 2007 12:23 am

Interesting :) Johan is actually studying those, it was his project for his masters in science. I dont know if you saw the 50/50 episode with him 2 or 3 weeks back where he was studying these? Ive got all 14 of the "project" animals at home and i just discovered 2 babies yesterday half the size of a match stick :) Why dont you mail it to him aswell with the pic and where you got it im sure he would be chuffed :) johan@fascinationbooks.co.za
gino
SA Reptiles member (restricted)

Postby alexander » Sun Dec 30, 2007 8:10 am

That must be it Pythonodipsas.
Life is but a glimpse of triumph amongst incomprehensible failure.
alexander
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Mitton » Wed Jan 02, 2008 7:51 pm

Sorry I am only replying now, Alexander, Springs is to the East of Jhb, about 70km from Sandton. Pinky's valley.

Gino, I did see that episode of 50/50 but for some reason I thought this would be something else. I'll mail him but I think the pic is really crappy, the thing just did not want to sit still. But at least I can let Johan know where it was found.
www.moreliapythons.co.za
Mitton
Forum gatekeeper

Postby laurenb » Wed Jun 18, 2008 3:47 pm

I found one on my wetland this morning - I was sure I'd unearthed a quill-snouted snake! Ah well, I'm sure legless skink will sound just as impressive in my reports :D
laurenb
SA Reptiles Member

Return to Indigenous fangless snakes