R. rostratus

South African snakes with venoms that are not considered to be medically important.

View gallery

Re: R. rostratus

Postby AirBender » Wed May 13, 2009 4:46 pm

Did you introduce the female in the male's cage, or the other way around? Ik placed my female in my male's cage and he showed interest in her after a few minutes. Are you sure your female is a female and not a big male? My large male was agressive towards the smaller male, so maybe your male is terrified because of that? Maybe you can moisture the cage a bit more, mine always get very active when I spray their cage.

Good luck, maybe the male gets interested after the female sheds.

regards

Gilian[/quote]

I had them in a divided tank, they never came into contact with eachother until I introduced them. The female is female but good point. I introduced them after she had a shed and a meal.(3-4 days later) I removed the divider and they now hang out together is a hide. You think to spray them eh? Good idea I will do that. Any other advise for me. We are very limited on information here in Canada as they are new to us, there are only a small handful of prople who have them. No bullying is happening at all. Do you think I should put them together in something smaller so less room to be separate? Any other advise would be great. How big are yours?

Thanks Chris
AirBender
SA Reptiles Member

Re: R. rostratus

Postby Masticophis » Thu May 14, 2009 2:11 pm

AirBender wrote:I had them in a divided tank, they never came into contact with eachother until I introduced them. The female is female but good point. I introduced them after she had a shed and a meal.(3-4 days later) I removed the divider and they now hang out together is a hide. You think to spray them eh? Good idea I will do that. Any other advise for me. We are very limited on information here in Canada as they are new to us, there are only a small handful of prople who have them. No bullying is happening at all. Do you think I should put them together in something smaller so less room to be separate? Any other advise would be great. How big are yours?

Thanks Chris

Hi Chris,

I'm definitely not an expert and I don't have any other advice. I didn't breed mine yet, but it shouldn't be that hard to do so. At least with cb specimens it should be possible. I wouldn't put them is a smaller cage. I think it is easier to mate when they have some space... Just wait, spray some water and see what happens.

Mine are about 140cm.

regards

Gilian
Masticophis
SA Reptiles Member

Previous

Return to Indigenous mildly venomous snakes