Spotted Harlequin Snake - Homoroselaps lacteus

South African snakes with venoms that are not considered to be medically important.

View gallery

Re: Spotted Harlequin Snake - [*]Homoroselaps lacteus[*]

Postby Rob » Thu Jul 23, 2009 2:30 pm

Sounds like fun, but no thanks. Ill be more careful next time :)
Thanks for sharing, not a common bite.

Your theory on why they bite like that doesnt hold true if Telescopus do the same thing as theyre hardly fossorial.

Could a mod rectify the title of this thread please, I messed up with the italics/asterixs
Rob Deans

Be more concerned with your character than your reputation. Your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are. ~Dale Carnegie
Rob
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Spotted Harlequin Snake - Homoroselaps lacteus

Postby Wolverine » Thu Jul 23, 2009 4:28 pm

Yeah, I realise it wouldn't hold for Telescopus, was just a thought. Maybe they act like this for different reasons or (more likely) I'm on the wrong track. Either way, it's taught me that you should watch sluggish/non-aggressive, mildly venomous/poorly known snakes eg Amblyodipsas, Macrelaps carefully just in case, even if they don't seem likely to bite.
Wolverine
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Wobbles » Thu Jul 23, 2009 6:53 pm

dude that snake is definately one of our prettiest snakes ( albeit small ) why is it so skinny though ?
Wobbles
SA Reptiles Member

Postby gaboon69 » Thu Jul 23, 2009 10:16 pm

What an interesting account Wolverine. Just a stab in the dark. Has anyone tried to offer these snakes earthworms?
Those who dwell among the beauties and mysteries of the earth are never alone or weary of life ~
Rachel Carson
gaboon69
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Rob » Fri Jul 24, 2009 8:09 am

GABOON - I imagine they inhabit different conditions with Harlequins liking it drier. So I would speculate that theyre not a staple.
Its simple really, get a supply of Leptotyphlops and you're all set.
Rob Deans

Be more concerned with your character than your reputation. Your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are. ~Dale Carnegie
Rob
SA Reptiles Member

Postby gaboon69 » Sat Jul 25, 2009 7:11 pm

Easier said then done I can imagine, hehe. Even if the wont take earthworms, then I can imagine that scenting the worms with snake blood might work. A nasty ordeal perhaps.
Those who dwell among the beauties and mysteries of the earth are never alone or weary of life ~
Rachel Carson
gaboon69
SA Reptiles Member

Postby davidob » Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:45 am

Hi Guys
I have numerous intervention with this type of snake inn PE.The problem is I have a 4 year old child that plays in the back yard.After reading some post on the site it is scary knowing its "Semi Venomous".I dont not want to kill the snake at all.Most of the time I jar it at put it somwehere else.Can you chaps give me advise on repelent "JAYES FLUID"?
davidob
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Wed Mar 13, 2013 5:40 pm

David your 4 year old will be fine as long as he/she does not pick it up or try to hurt it. Just drill that into him and you will be fine.

Jeyes fluid just smells bad and is toxic to many organisms so rather not use that.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby davidob » Thu Mar 14, 2013 4:19 pm

Thx ,I will keep that in mind ,the litlle bugger was quite agresive ,but his back in the bush though
davidob
SA Reptiles Member

Previous

Return to Indigenous mildly venomous snakes