New Tiger species

South African snakes with venoms that are not considered to be medically important.

View gallery

New Tiger species

Postby Pythonodipsas » Thu Apr 06, 2006 11:13 pm

Here are some pics from a good friend of the undescribed species of Telescopus. Wulf Haake (ex Transvaal Museum) once told me they are being newly described and might be called Telescopus 'namibensis'. They seem to occur in the arid rocky thornveld and savannas of northern central Namibia in the Usakos, Karabib, Omaruru, Otjiwarongo and Kamanjab districts. The two pictured were found near Karabib.
'Flix' recently told me he recorded one from Grootfontein which would extend the range considerably more North East.

As you can see they are somewhat 3 colored as opposed to most other Southern African forms of Telescopus. They have black blotches bordered in orange on a cream background. And if held up against the light one can see the eyeballs and and in one case I observed some internal organs. Awesome to say the least!!!...If anyone has any more info on these, such as the status of the paper and who is working on the paper, I would like to know more please. Flix maybe you can help?

Pythonodipsas
SAReptiles Techie

Postby Bushbaby » Fri Apr 07, 2006 7:58 am

Very interesting. I always thought there were only the normal looking ones with differences in the "stripes / spots".
http://www.snakebiteassist.co.za
http://www.reptileexpo.co.za
http://www.boaconstrictors.co.za
Bushbaby
SA Reptiles Admin

Postby Mongoose » Fri Apr 07, 2006 3:08 pm

woah very lekker,when where they first discovored?
The best things come to those who flip rocks.
Mongoose
SA Reptiles Honorary Member

Postby Pythonodipsas » Sat Apr 08, 2006 10:46 am

Hi Mongoose,

I'm not sure when they were first discovered, but I was discussing them with Wulf Haake at the TVL museum about 8 years ago...and they still havent been officially described!!! The way Wulf spoke it was as if they had already been known of for a while. They do seem common in the area (I have found at least 6 including dead on road specimens). And I have found the more common species T.s.polystictus living in the sympatry (same area with them) and I dont think they are just an abberant form of T.s.polystictus.
Pythonodipsas
SAReptiles Techie

Postby Bushviper » Sat Apr 08, 2006 6:39 pm

I gave Wulf a specimen many yaers ago as well. Mine came from Kamanjab and was a real pleasure to keep.

I dont think too much was done about for a while now so hopefully someone can sort this out.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby Bushbaby » Mon Apr 10, 2006 8:26 am

I e-mailed Wulf about these guys. Do you have any localities for them (specific locality). Could you pm them to me please.
http://www.snakebiteassist.co.za
http://www.reptileexpo.co.za
http://www.boaconstrictors.co.za
Bushbaby
SA Reptiles Admin

Re: New Tiger species

Postby Flix » Mon Apr 10, 2006 10:49 am

pythonodipsas wrote: The two pictured were found near Karabib.
'Flix' recently told me he recorded one from Grootfontein which would extend the range considerably more North East.

Hi,
thats a small misunderstanding. I wrote you that we found our Telescopus in the area around Gobabis, not Grootfontein.
But you are absolut right, Wulf was quite happy to get a new record so far away in the East... :)

If anyone has any more info on these, such as the status of the paper and who is working on the paper, I would like to know more please. Flix maybe you can help?

I think Wulf is working with the new Telescopus by himself. If you contact him, please send him best wishes from Felix!

Enclosed you will find the young specimen we talked about it. The third picture was send to our friend G. Vogel. The picture is around 20 years old, and Gernot didn't know what the origin of this picture was.

Greetings
Flix

specimen from unknown origin
Image[/i]
Flix
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Pythonodipsas » Tue Apr 11, 2006 8:03 am

Hey Flix, apologies for the misunderstanding on Grootfontien. Thanks for posting the extra pics.

Bushbaby I will try get precise localities asap for you to send to Wulf.

Craig
Pythonodipsas
SAReptiles Techie

Postby snake-5 » Tue Apr 11, 2006 8:28 am

awesome looking one on top there
MY RETICS ARE ADIMANT THAT PEOPLE TASTE LIKE CHICKEN.

Im Zenafobic... that zena chick from t.v scares the cr@# out of me.
snake-5
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Wolf777 » Wed Apr 15, 2009 6:05 pm

Whats the newest info on this species?
Wolf777
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Wed Apr 15, 2009 8:45 pm

Wolf they have just been taking DNA and then the paper will be ready to be published. I spoke to Wulf last month at the meeting and he seems to be nearly finished with the write up.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby Wolf777 » Wed Apr 15, 2009 8:56 pm

Thanks Bv.
Wolf777
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Durban Keeper » Wed Apr 15, 2009 9:25 pm

This seems to be a tediously time consuming process. Found 20 years ago & not yet properly classified as such. crazy!
Life is but a dream for the dead.
Durban Keeper
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Westley Price » Thu Apr 16, 2009 9:00 am

Sjoe, that's abeautiful Telescopus.

On that same note, I regularly come across Telescopus while driving at night and I check out most specimen. What I have found is that the Beetzi have an undivided anal, but there are others that have divided anal shields. I'm not sure if this is just an anomaly or what. They definitely dont resemble polystictus.

Sorry to hi-jack the thread.
"I am dying by inches from not having anybody to talk to about insects." - Charles Darwin
Westley Price
Forum gatekeeper

Postby Pythonodipsas » Thu Apr 16, 2009 9:22 am

Hey Westley,

I am not sure about the anal shield 'variation' in Telescopus. I should look it up. On that note I have found a definite T. polystictus on Aninaus Pass near Steinkopf in Namaqualand. This was only ever once and the rest are always T. beetzi. I have never bothered to take note or there anal scale though...they always seemed entire.
`
If you wanna find out what's behind these cold eyes, you'll just have to claw your way through this disguise.
Roger Waters & David Gilmour - 1979
Pythonodipsas
SAReptiles Techie

Next

Return to Indigenous mildly venomous snakes