we have wild red lip heralds

South African snakes with venoms that are not considered to be medically important.

View gallery

we have wild red lip heralds

Postby corn snake » Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:43 am

I have found a few red lips in the complex where we live 1 live 2 dead. I would like to know how to find more of these snakes in the complex because there are lots of people with cats and dogs in the aria and i do not want more to die i do not know what i will do with it if i find one but it will be better if i find one than if a dog finds one. Any info will be useful i will not kill the snake.
corn snake
SA Reptiles Member

Re: we have wild red lip heralds

Postby LeglessDragon » Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:48 am

Best is to call out someone with a catch and release permit that can catch them and re-locate them safely.
My heart always leads, my brain always lags. Words are said in the moment and friendships made or broken. My heart always leads...
LeglessDragon
SA Reptiles Member

Postby warbot » Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:56 am

Try looking for them at night as they are actually nocturnal and not diurnal.
And when found alive, catch some frogs from the local stream or park, see if they will feed if so, release them there.

But try and make proper details of length weight, take as much details as possible, the exact location where they were found and released.

Or... get someone to assist you as LD mentioned.

But I am sure this is not a major need, it is heralds LOL!

That is the best advise I can give on limited info.
“Motivation is what gets you started. Habit is what keeps you going.”
- by Jim Rohn -
warbot
This member has been banned

Postby Cradle of life » Tue Mar 30, 2010 2:11 pm

The easiest way will be to take a nice strong torch and walk around your complex from dark onwards, along walls on ground level, in holes and just generally around should produce something for you. Or you could inform all your residents by either a notice or any other method, that you will remove any snakes found in their space :idea: Please make sure you know how to do this and also may be a good idea to get the paper thing done - even though i think for what you intend doing is OK, but natcon may not like you very much (and a few others here on this forum) if you don't. PM me if you need any further ideas and help.

Cheers
COL
To fly is heavenly, but to hover is devine!!
Cradle of life
SA Reptiles Member

Return to Indigenous mildly venomous snakes