Sad DOR.

South African snakes with venoms that are not considered to be medically important.

View gallery

Sad DOR.

Postby steve » Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:29 am

Found this Tiger snake on a road just outside of Mabalingwe Nature Reserve(Limpopo province) still writhing in pain, must of happened just moments before i arrived.
Please excuse the terrible photo quality, I had nothing but an old cell phone on me.
Image Image Hosting
Image Image Hosting
Image Image Hosting
Regards
vipers?
steve
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Sad DOR.

Postby Chamssss » Thu Sep 16, 2010 7:08 am

Poor thing, and it is also a rare snake? Thats sad...

In the Kruger I saw plenty snakes crossing roads, also watched a grass snake die from being run over...Its not nice seeing them dieing like that.
Chamssss
SA Reptiles Member

Postby eyed_lizard » Thu Sep 16, 2010 7:51 am

One of my favorite snakes, this is very sad but unfortunately this happens quite often up in Limpopo especially this time of year, never seen it myself but the locals has told me about it numerous times, when the temperatures drop a bit rapidly at night they head to the road for heat and get driven over, and they are not so rare as you might think, these are one of the most found snakes up there especially around houses because of the Hemidactilus sp. that is taking over, my brother that stays there has found 3, 2 around the yard and 1 at the workers place.
Still this is not a nice sight, but thanks for sharing.
eyed_lizard
This member has been banned

Postby Psychogav » Thu Sep 16, 2010 10:29 am

We have never found an olive house in our part of KZN and started doubting that they were present in the area. Until last year when we saw a car drive over a snake in front of us. We stopped, and what do you know, a large female olive. Haven't seen one since though.
Psychogav
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Durban Keeper » Thu Sep 16, 2010 1:27 pm

DOR's are good for confirming distribution records, but that's about it. Was a very pretty tiger :(
Life is but a dream for the dead.
Durban Keeper
SA Reptiles Member

Postby BushSnake » Thu Sep 16, 2010 4:48 pm

Sad, but the only thing worse is the number of snakes that get run over... daily! We've done trips where we found 24 dead snakes of various species in an evening, and not a single live one.

Chamss, tiger snakes are not rare at all, and they can be quite common in some area. We've found up to 4 in 2 hours of driving on a 15km stretch of road. I so think that their temperature/water dependancy is quite different to other snakes, because all the evenings when I have found tiger snakes I have found very little else.
We must remember that a photograph can hold just as much as we put into it, and no one has ever approached the full possibilities of the medium - Ansel Adams
BushSnake
SA Reptiles Honorary Member

Return to Indigenous mildly venomous snakes