Snouted night adder

South African snakes with venoms that are not considered to be medically important.

View gallery

Snouted night adder

Postby Dundee@cradleoflife » Thu Oct 07, 2010 9:55 am

Hi everyone I found this snouted night adder female youngster in badplaas mapumalanga and the local people say they are quite common here. Hope you enjoy.
Dundee@cradleoflife
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Snouted night adder

Postby Mitton » Thu Oct 07, 2010 10:02 am

Nice find, beautiful snake and pictures.

Welcome to the forum.
www.moreliapythons.co.za
Mitton
Forum gatekeeper

Postby eyed_lizard » Thu Oct 07, 2010 11:20 am

Welcome and they are stunning little snakes!
Hope you enjoy it here :)
eyed_lizard
This member has been banned

Postby Wolf777 » Thu Oct 07, 2010 11:29 am

Such funny looking snakes, very cool.

Welcome to the forum.
Wolf777
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Rishaad » Thu Oct 07, 2010 11:31 am

Very nice. Would love to see one of these in the flesh. All we seem to get here in Durbs is the common rhombic phase.
And God has Created every animal from water, of them are some creeping on their bellies, some walk on two legs, and some on four. God Creates what He wills, for sure God has Power over all things. (Noble Quran 24:45)

For Goodness Snakes
www.forgoodnesssnakes.co.za
Rishaad
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Fri Oct 08, 2010 9:45 am

They look so friendly. That is still one species on my bucket list to catch.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby Kryptos » Fri Aug 19, 2011 12:34 pm

Friendly? must be honest.... but these boytjies aren't friendly at all. I dont know how it ranks against the gaboon, but I can tell you they are deadly. If you want to get one, you can come and get 10 from our farm. It is close to New Castle in the "uitlopers" from the Berg, and on the rocky plates we have enough for you to catch at your leasure :-) They seem to like grass as well if it is not too dense. They are damn lazy and I have been very close on stepping on them several times in my life. I once lost my best friend to one of them (a Great Dane from the city who was not so immune to bites at all and very intrigued by everything that moved).

They are beautiful though, and before one bit my dog and I killed it to take it to the vet to help me save my dog I had no interests in snakes and it was the most ugliest thing to roam our farm. I know on this forum I just made a lot of enemies but try and see both sides... esp in the timeframe it happened. Most pictures I can find on them show only the brown skin, but they are very beautiful when you get the more yellow ones. They get very big as well, but I am sure there are experts on this forum to give you stats (the one that killed my dog was about 1.3m - a big sucker). I am sure this one can give a gaboon a run for its money (or venom) but I am definately no expert.
Kryptos
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Fooble » Fri Aug 19, 2011 12:48 pm

Kryptos wrote:Friendly? must be honest.... but these boytjies aren't friendly at all. I dont know how it ranks against the gaboon, but I can tell you they are deadly. If you want to get one, you can come and get 10 from our farm. It is close to New Castle in the "uitlopers" from the Berg, and on the rocky plates we have enough for you to catch at your leasure :-) They seem to like grass as well if it is not too dense. They are damn lazy and I have been very close on stepping on them several times in my life. I once lost my best friend to one of them (a Great Dane from the city who was not so immune to bites at all and very intrigued by everything that moved).

They are beautiful though, and before one bit my dog and I killed it to take it to the vet to help me save my dog I had no interests in snakes and it was the most ugliest thing to roam our farm. I know on this forum I just made a lot of enemies but try and see both sides... esp in the timeframe it happened. Most pictures I can find on them show only the brown skin, but they are very beautiful when you get the more yellow ones. They get very big as well, but I am sure there are experts on this forum to give you stats (the one that killed my dog was about 1.3m - a big sucker). I am sure this one can give a gaboon a run for its money (or venom) but I am definately no expert.

The snouted Night Adder is no where near Deadly and i stand corrected by there have been no Deaths recorded from this species.
I think you are mistaken about this species these snakes do not exceed 50cm
Organized crime comes in more forms than one.
Fooble
Forum gatekeeper

Postby Cronje Rademan » Fri Aug 19, 2011 1:19 pm

I live in Burgersfort, Limpopo and these guys are very common in our area especially on rainy evenings when they are very active hunting frogs. The biggest one I have found was about 38 cm which is already a fully grown adult. They average around 35cm and according to literature will never exceed 45 cm. Even the common night adders never exceed 1 m.

@Kryptos. Very sorry for your loss, I've also lost a few "four legged best friends" due to snake bites esp puff adder bites. I think the culprit responsible for your loss might be something else because the size of the night adders will never reach 1.3 m (in 20 years herping I've never seen one get that big). There is still a lot of opinions about the night adder venom, but to put in consideration they have the largest venom glands in comparison with similar sized snakes. My golden rule is that the most venomous snake is the one that just bit you. It is possible that a night adder could have been the culprit but not if its 1.3 m. Just my humble opinion.

@dundee@cradleoflife. Nice specimen. How big was it? The average that I have found here in Burgersfort is about 15 - 25 cm. These guys can seem to be very feisty at times but it seems to be more bluff that actually biting. They huff and puff a lot and strike at every movement, but seldom commit to a bite. Their behavior remind me a lot of an egg eater. some nice photos you got of him/her.
Cronje Rademan
SA Reptiles Member

Postby rolandslf » Fri Aug 19, 2011 1:25 pm

Ok, Looks like a Night Adder, 1.3 metre, Newcastle, deadly enough to kill a Great Dane Dog, some have nice yellow colour.
We are talking about a Puff Adder here.
It is better to be Pissed Off than Pissed On.
Roland Friskin
rolandslf
SA Reptiles Member

Return to Indigenous mildly venomous snakes