Garden Heralds

South African snakes with venoms that are not considered to be medically important.

View gallery

Garden Heralds

Postby John Rees » Thu Apr 14, 2011 9:17 pm

I never realised just how common these snakes are in some localities. They are a regular visitor in our garden and always have such bright colours. Generally very relaxed with no bites to report as yet and hardly even a strike. The large female was found late last year when she looked gravid. A few weeks ago we found her again and by chance also found two babies within a few metres of her. Perhaps her off-spring....I don't know? But a nice thought anyway. I just had to keep her for a few weeks and was very tempted to keep her for good but after a diet of a few large toads she went back into the garden. Hope she lives out her life without having her head bashed in by a gardener, or eaten by a dog, cat, or local spotted eagle owl!!

Mum & Baby?

Baby RLH

A tempting keeper!

Apart from a small "deposit"..a little beaut!

Fresh make-up?

Sad that winter is on it's way now. Not too much longer before these disappear for some months again.
John Rees
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Garden Heralds

Postby Fooble » Thu Apr 14, 2011 9:47 pm

Really nice John. You guys get some stunner up there much unlike the "ugly" ones down here in Durban.
Organized crime comes in more forms than one.
Fooble
Forum gatekeeper

Postby charl.dbn » Fri Apr 15, 2011 9:15 am

Very cool specimens..Fooble's right, although have found the odd 1 or 2 with a nice red lip.
charl.dbn
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Fri Apr 15, 2011 10:33 am

Nice sized animals but I would be a bit more careful where kids are involved. Even though the venom is medically insignificant a bite could be painful for a child and actually scare them away from the hobby.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Return to Indigenous mildly venomous snakes