Will adult redlip heralds eat younger heralds

South African snakes with venoms that are not considered to be medically important.

View gallery

Will adult redlip heralds eat younger heralds

Postby Andre@Pelham » Tue May 24, 2011 2:06 pm

I had 4 haralds, 2 adult, 2 young. I tried feeding them this last month, but they did not seem interested, maybe getting ready for their winter sleep. I had not seen them for about a week and decided to give them fresh water. I left the cage open while getting water, coz I did not see any of them around. Later I walked into my room and caught one of the adults on the floor. I decided to clean the cage and check on all of them. After taking everything out the cage I found that the 2 youngsters were gone. I searched all over and could not find them. Now my question is... Have they escaped or have the adults eaten them?

Will an adult redlip heralds eat younger heralds?
Andre@Pelham
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Will adult redlip heralds eat younger heralds

Postby MISA » Tue May 24, 2011 3:15 pm

My bets you will find the youngsters have escaped, especially as you said you found one of the adults on the floor after leaving the cage open.

I think it is possible that they might eat a smaller specimen of their species but with a few influences like perhaps them both trying to swallow the same frog, or perhaps a mistaken identity as the smaller one could have frog scent on it and thus the adult may assume it's prey.

I recently had a large night adder consume a small herald and an olive that were all placed together for release the following day (the container was escape proof as the sides were twice as high as the small snakes were long and the opening was centered in the lid) so they didn't escape.

I am sure if you look around you will find your two little ones hiding somewhere warm and cosy.
"I have absolutely NO tolerance for stupidity and self-inflicted pain borne out of the greed to gain at another’s expense."
(Made_In_SA 09)

1.0 -Matindane (WC)
1.0 -Mkhovu (WC)
1.0 -Tokoloshe (CB)
1.0.1 -Angasi (WC)
MISA
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Rodwraylva » Tue May 24, 2011 7:46 pm

Hope you find them. And I have read of Heralds eating other snakes in captivity somewhere.
Rodwraylva
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Andre@Pelham » Tue May 24, 2011 10:51 pm

Thanks for the replies. Will go looking for them again and will let you know what happens...
Andre@Pelham
SA Reptiles Member

Return to Indigenous mildly venomous snakes