BEAUTIFUL NIGHT ADDER!!

South African snakes with venoms that are not considered to be medically important.

View gallery

BEAUTIFUL NIGHT ADDER!!

Postby iluvsnakes » Wed Sep 14, 2011 4:39 pm

Some pictures of this little one I found
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
iluvsnakes
SA Reptiles member (restricted)

Re: BEAUTIFUL NIGHT ADDER!!

Postby iluvsnakes » Wed Sep 14, 2011 4:42 pm

more
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
iluvsnakes

Postby Aaxel » Wed Sep 14, 2011 4:46 pm

awsome man!!!
Thats a nice one! :D
never argue with idiots, they will drag you down their level then beat you with experience
Aaxel
SA Reptiles Member

Postby bubblesharp » Wed Sep 14, 2011 4:52 pm

I love night adders, I find them fascinating!
Eben Brits
Cell 071 603 6596
BBM 27E1FDF4
bubblesharp
SA Reptiles Member

Postby iluvsnakes » Wed Sep 14, 2011 7:09 pm

It looks large in the pictures,but was actually quite small!But very,very BEAUTIFUL! :D
iluvsnakes

Postby it_bit_me » Wed Sep 14, 2011 8:38 pm

How come you have so many snakes all of a sudden?
If I'm gonna be an old, lonely man, I'm gonna need a thing, you know, a hook, like that guy on the subway who eats his own face. So I figure I'll be Crazy Man with a Snake, y'know. Crazy Snake Man. And I'll get more snakes, call them my babies, kids won't walk past my place, they will run. "Run away from Crazy Snake Man, " they'll shout!”
it_bit_me
SA Reptiles Member

Postby iluvsnakes » Thu Sep 15, 2011 3:09 pm

I have always had me exotic ones,but I have this pet shop down the road from my house and people that find snakes in their homes take them to this pet shop,so I take them and release them.I take a good few pictures first though :)
iluvsnakes

Postby Bushviper » Thu Sep 15, 2011 4:58 pm

iluvsnakes wrote:I have always had me exotic ones,but I have this pet shop down the road from my house and people that find snakes in their homes take them to this pet shop,so I take them and release them.I take a good few pictures first though :)

Please dont do that any more. If you do not know the exact locality you could be contaminating the gene pool. Secondly you require a permit to be able to do this. You could get in serious trouble despite trying to "do the right thing".

Rather let the pet shop notify Nature Conservation to come and collect the snakes and then release them if they can get the correct information.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby gartersnake » Tue Sep 27, 2011 12:36 pm

Well I ave a story of my own regarding this species.
Some time ago this guy, I knew him reasonably well but his knowledge of snakes was non existent, he asked me if I would be interested in this snake, to purchase, so I asked him if he knew what it was, and he said night adder, I then asked him if he knows what they eat so he said yes, mice... I said... nothing... so it came down that he already had this snake for some time no one knows when last this poor thing had a meal, it was skinny as hell lethargic and in absolute terrible condition and that his cousin gave it to him.

I told him to ask his cousin where he found it, he said no he got it from someone else and so on.

So I left it, a couple of days later I find a tank with the snake by my door, I leave it at first go to his place he is not there, apparently went to visit family somewhere.

Ok, so I do not really want this snake! but it was Friday and it was feeding time, so I took the poor thing in put some water in a tub and put it in there, see how it reacts, it was so thirsty as well, dehydrated most likely as well.

And I feed my small garters I&J fish fillets, dust them with some multi-supplement and there you go, bob's your uncle, so I decide I'm going to give it a shot, took a rat pink, which I feed my larger garters, and scent it with some fish.

and this was the result...

It ended up eating three rat pinks and a piece of fish without hesitation.

sadly, less than a week after it died, not sure of what but it attacked the substrate it was on, it's mouth was full of wood chips.

People shouldn't take these type of animals out of the wild they almost never make it in captivity.
gartersnake
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Fooble » Tue Sep 27, 2011 12:46 pm

That's odd, however i think your act of kindness may have caused it's death.
A skinny and hydrated snake even mammals should never be given large quantities of food all at once after not having fed in a while as the digestion process takes up allot of energy of the animal.

Been seen in the past these snakes taking scented pinks ect.
Organized crime comes in more forms than one.
Fooble
Forum gatekeeper

Postby gartersnake » Tue Sep 27, 2011 12:55 pm

You are probably right, they weren't large meals but maybe the quantity was my downfall sorry little guy, I really didn't think that 3 rat pinks are going to be much for almost half a meter long night adder, and fish is almost just water according to me. :( very sad.
But I understand that mice isn't good for these type of snakes as it is.
gartersnake
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Fooble » Tue Sep 27, 2011 2:23 pm

You did your best and what you thought was right , which is important. We all make errors in judgment though.
Organized crime comes in more forms than one.
Fooble
Forum gatekeeper

Postby gartersnake » Tue Sep 27, 2011 2:28 pm

Over eager :(
But thanks T, appreciate the kind words.
gartersnake
SA Reptiles Member

Return to Indigenous mildly venomous snakes