ID please ....

South African snakes with venoms that are not considered to be medically important.

View gallery

ID please ....

Postby Curious » Thu Sep 29, 2011 11:57 am

Hello,
This little guy rocked up in my workshop New Germany, Pinetown, Kwazulu Natal.
Light brown in colour, head slightly darker, with dark band around back of neck/head.
We have quite a bit of bush/river outside our workshop.
Much appreciated
Snake query.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Curious
SA Reptiles Member

Re: ID please ....

Postby gartersnake » Thu Sep 29, 2011 12:00 pm

Cape Centipede eater, but I understand there was a name change but that is how I know them, gorgeous snakes, just a pity they don't do well in captivity due to obvious reasons.
gartersnake
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Fooble » Thu Sep 29, 2011 12:16 pm

That is a cape centipede eater, they are harmless to people and usually wriggle around furiously but never attempt to bite.
You can just pop it back in the nearest bush and it will be fine.
I will P you my contact details as i work in westville and may come in useful should you find anymore snakes around your workshop.
Organized crime comes in more forms than one.
Fooble
Forum gatekeeper

Postby Curious » Thu Sep 29, 2011 1:57 pm

Thanks guys, much appreciated.
We are busy renovating our new house in Padfield park, lots of bush and river front, so hopefully we'll be finding/spotting more snakes.
We have already found a skin +/- 80cm long, and the wife briefly saw a spotted bush snake. ( we saw quite a few of them in Mana Pools around the camp site ).
Glad I found this site. I have done the handling and ID course with Mike Perry in JHB.
But , yes snakes belong in the wild and should be left alone and enjoyed !! They fulfil their role .
Thanks again
Curious
SA Reptiles Member

Return to Indigenous mildly venomous snakes