Handling mildy venomous snakes?

South African snakes with venoms that are not considered to be medically important.

View gallery

Re: Handling mildy venomous snakes?

Postby Daniellouw » Fri May 25, 2012 9:06 am

BV, you crack me up!!! :lol:
Daniellouw
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Jamster » Fri May 25, 2012 7:54 pm

@ColinWa- that's cute man. I'm glad you have a mentor. But judging by his actions I can only assume he is an idiot. Even if it was a well respected person in the snake community, I would still say he/ she is an idiot. I don't even believe that non venemous should be allowed to roam freely as it increases the chance of escape, damage of property and injury to the snake. Now how on earth do you justify letting a deadly venemous snake roaming the room freely. I wonder what Natcon would do if they popped in for an inspection and were welcomed by a black mamba at the door? Can anyone say incompetence? How does he feed the snake? Proper heating? Humidity control? Frankly this guys knowledge isn't top notch if he's making this much of an ass of himself by doing what he's doing. What exactly was he doing with these wild mambas? He shouldn't be doing anything with wild mambas really. Let alone being a #$%^ enough snake handler to get tagged by both of them.

Cheers
1.0-reticulated python (Ripcord)
1.1-burmese pythons
5.5-brown house snakes
1.0-taiwanese ratsnake
3.8-BCI
1.1-corn snakes
1.2-rhombic skaapstekers
1.0-yellow rat snake
Jamster
SA Reptiles Member

Postby TonyK » Sat May 26, 2012 1:22 pm

Jamster the one incident happend when he was bagging the so called tame one ,she bit him throught the bag.The snake was being filmed for a TV show .One of our forum members administered the first aid ,applied the crepe bandages etc, saved the guys life for sure.
TonyK
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Jamster » Sat May 26, 2012 8:32 pm

Cool, but that doesn't make his case any better. Nice to know we have people around that are reliable and know what to do in case someone gets bitten though :)
1.0-reticulated python (Ripcord)
1.1-burmese pythons
5.5-brown house snakes
1.0-taiwanese ratsnake
3.8-BCI
1.1-corn snakes
1.2-rhombic skaapstekers
1.0-yellow rat snake
Jamster
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Dispholidus » Tue May 29, 2012 2:59 pm

This CollinWa sounds like one of the cowboys. En Swartbek se baas is 'n onnosel idioot - doen't matter who says what!
Snakes caring for me:

0.1 Boaedon capensis (Brown house snake)
1.0 Lycodonomorphus inornatus (Olive ground snake)
1.0 Pseudaspis cana (Mole snake)
1.1 Dispholidus typus (Boomslang)
0.1 Naja annulifera (Snouted cobra)
Dispholidus
SA Reptiles Member

Postby poobsta » Wed May 30, 2012 2:25 am

Ok first up you have got to remember that although they are mildly venomous, your body is not designed to have those toxins in you. And secondly there is no such thing as a 'tame' snake, snakes lack a frontal lobe so taming is not the word we should be throwing around so freely here. Habituaise is the word. One must remember snakes are instinctual, Eat, survive, reproduce!
There is no such thing as I can't
poobsta
SA Reptiles Member

Previous

Return to Indigenous mildly venomous snakes