New snakes

South African snakes with venoms that are not considered to be medically important.

View gallery

New snakes

Postby Masticophis » Mon Oct 15, 2007 9:25 am

Yesterday I bought 1.2 of these:

I will take some better pictures later. This is the smallest female.

I think there's not much information about breeding them.

Regards

Gilian
Masticophis
SA Reptiles Member

Postby froot » Mon Oct 15, 2007 4:05 pm

Wow Gilian, those are great snakes to keep, good luck with them.

Welcome back by the way, it's been a while.
We salute the improvement of the human genome by honoring those who remove themselves from it.
Of necessity, this honor is generally bestowed posthumously. - www.darwinawards.com
froot
Founder Member

Postby Natal Black » Mon Oct 15, 2007 5:20 pm

What is it?
Natal Black
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Masticophis » Mon Oct 15, 2007 5:44 pm

Wow Gilian, those are great snakes to keep, good luck with them.

Welcome back by the way, it's been a while.

Hi,

I'm visiting here at least every week, but don't post so often. I should, but I don't...

It's a Haakneusslang, or Rufous Beaked Snake.

I'm not sure if its Rhamphiophis rostratus, or Rhamphiophis oxyrhynchus rostratus. I always thought just R, rostratus.

Anyway, I really like them.

Kind regards

Gilian
Masticophis
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Masticophis » Mon Oct 15, 2007 5:47 pm

Oops,

guess I made myself clear :D

Small glitch fixed. No problem BV
Masticophis
SA Reptiles Member

Postby swazi » Mon Oct 15, 2007 6:02 pm

Certainly got the message! Wonderful snakes by the way - but I'll only tell you once -
Swazi
Women are Angels...and when someone breaks our wings...we simply continue to fly...on a broomstick..we are flexible like that.
swazi
SA Reptiles Member

Postby slangman » Mon Oct 15, 2007 7:39 pm

i seen them there aswell and if i were a rich man , i would have snapped them up . totally gutted i couldnt afford them but thats life . a fab set of snakes mate . you are gonna have a load of fun with them . (says the green eyed and mostest jellous monster on this side of the pc.)
slangman
SA Reptiles Member

Postby dave » Mon Oct 15, 2007 8:59 pm

very nice snakes :cool: dont think there very common here in the
netherlands
dave
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Masticophis » Tue Oct 16, 2007 10:15 am

slangman wrote:i seen them there aswell and if i were a rich man , i would have snapped them up . totally gutted i couldnt afford them but thats life . a fab set of snakes mate . you are gonna have a load of fun with them . (says the green eyed and mostest jellous monster on this side of the pc.)

Hi,

I weited till the end of the fair and because they were still there I bought them. The ones on the table were 3 females and he had 2 males in a back. So he still had 1.1 left.
I have to say that these are much more easy to work wiht than Psammophis sp. These don't even bite... But I handle themwith gloves to be sure.

@ Dave: Thanks! I don't know anybody else in The Nethelands with this species, and I don't know why.
This is the 'problem' with all my snakes :D

regards

Gilian
Masticophis
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Tue Oct 16, 2007 10:34 am

These are not like Psammophis as they are much calmer to work with. They become really tame and will be happy being handled in almost no time. Even though a bite from these is not to be laughed it they very rarely bite. I have never had a problem with them eating each other either.

They do live for a long time. Some that I had and sold were still alive 12 years later and they were big adults when I got them.

They would like a big cage and a very hot spot is appreciated. They like lots of small food often so dont feed them like a Pituophis or other snake with a big mouth gape. They can get a bit fat if they have a small cage and not too much space to move around in.

They are some of the most interesting snakes you will ever get to keep. Hope you have fun with them.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby Masticophis » Tue Oct 16, 2007 3:17 pm

Bushviper wrote:These are not like Psammophis as they are much calmer to work with. They become really tame and will be happy being handled in almost no time. Even though a bite from these is not to be laughed it they very rarely bite. I have never had a problem with them eating each other either.

They do live for a long time. Some that I had and sold were still alive 12 years later and they were big adults when I got them.

They would like a big cage and a very hot spot is appreciated. They like lots of small food often so dont feed them like a Pituophis or other snake with a big mouth gape. They can get a bit fat if they have a small cage and not too much space to move around in.

They are some of the most interesting snakes you will ever get to keep. Hope you have fun with them.

Hi,

yes, I expected them to be more or less the same, but they are quit different. I hope I don't get problems with cannibalism either :-)

All my cages are long and warm. Makes them nice and active.

So far I really like them. It’s nice to see when they start moving heir heads… But My Masticophis are even nicer, time will tell......

Do Rhamphiophis species also secrete the same fluids from their nasal glands as Psammophis species?

Regards

Gilian
Masticophis
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Pythonodipsas » Tue Oct 16, 2007 4:29 pm

Gilian van Duijvendijk wrote:Do Rhamphiophis species also secrete the same fluids from their nasal glands as Psammophis species?

Hi Gilian,

I am not sure about all Psammophines but Rhamphiophis have it.

Maybe you have seen this, but here is a topic that might answer your question. It has links to an article as well as a video of Rhamphiophis nasal rubbing.

http://www.sareptiles.co.za/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4663
`
If you wanna find out what's behind these cold eyes, you'll just have to claw your way through this disguise.
Roger Waters & David Gilmour - 1979
Pythonodipsas
SAReptiles Techie

Postby Masticophis » Tue Oct 16, 2007 4:38 pm

Thanks,

I expected it allready.
My Psammophis orientalis do it a lot, also eachother. I didn't see it yet by my Rhamphiophis.

I will read the article now.

Thanks again!

Gilian
Masticophis
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Pythonodipsas » Tue Oct 16, 2007 5:04 pm

Great and remember the video, earlier in that same thread, of Rhamphiophis rubbing! Its great!
`
If you wanna find out what's behind these cold eyes, you'll just have to claw your way through this disguise.
Roger Waters & David Gilmour - 1979
Pythonodipsas
SAReptiles Techie

Postby Masticophis » Tue Oct 16, 2007 5:10 pm

Yeah, I have to make some video's too.

I found this abstract on the internet: (Also from De Haan (2003))

In several psammophine snake species, small sense-organ-like pits have been discovered occurring on the top of the head. These pits show a heretofore non-described structure. In numbers of one to four per head, they are present in Dromophis lineatus, Malpolon monspessulanus, several Psammophis species and Rhamphiophis rubropunctatus, but not in all individuals which is unrelated to sex. The reason for their sporadic occurrence remains obscure. Their equally obscure function is discussed in relation to the presumed functions of already known upper-head 'pits' in snakes. A histological study is in preparation.

It's interesting that not all individuals have these glands....

Gilian
Masticophis
SA Reptiles Member

Next

Return to Indigenous mildly venomous snakes