My Skaapstekers are here

South African snakes with venoms that are not considered to be medically important.

View gallery

My Skaapstekers are here

Postby jackspirko » Thu Nov 22, 2007 2:09 am

First the female in hand to give some scale,

Now the male all coiled over his heat digesting a mouse

They are in pretty good shape a bit on the thin side and very hungry. Both went on PK small adult mice strait away. The girl held out a day longer to take her first meal. Both are now eating like champs.

They are a little roughed up not sure if it is from handling or just life in the bush. I have to say these are the calmest snakes I have ever dealt with they don't do much of anything when you pick them up other then look around.

They remind me a lot of American Garters but much more docile and calm. I am pretty happy about having these guys,
Jack Spirko

Check out "the site" on the
African House Snake - and get a free copy of "The Reptile Book", by Raymond L. Ditmars.
jackspirko
SA Reptiles Member

Postby gino » Thu Nov 22, 2007 2:39 am

VERY VERY nice :) They look great and im sure you'll enjoy them.
I love them :)
gino
SA Reptiles member (restricted)

Postby Bushviper » Thu Nov 22, 2007 3:08 pm

Dont underestimate them. When they get hot they will give your coachwhips and racers a run for their money.

They look wild caught if I see the damage on the females tail, and the male has a ding or two as well.

That does not matter because they are hardy snakes, hardly ever has parasites or anything to worry about and become calm captives rather quickly.

They should be breeding now because it is summer here. They will take a few years to get used to the northern hemisphere seasons.

Good luck with them.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby Jetranger » Thu Nov 22, 2007 3:13 pm

Congrats on the new snake, I went out to a farm and a guy had just killed a skaapsketer, it must have been 2 meters long, very sad
Why drive?
Jetranger
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Thu Nov 22, 2007 3:19 pm

Jetranger I have no idea what aviation fuel is affecting you but if you found a striped skaapsteker of over one metre I would be suprised. Over 2 metres and I would buy you a new chopper and if you find one in Zambia I will buy you a new game farm in Zimbabwe.

Try to get pictures then we can help you to identify the snakes you come across.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby mm069 » Thu Nov 22, 2007 4:42 pm

@BV, your posts always make me laugh. Thank you.
"I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself. A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself." -David Herbert Richards Lawrence
mm069
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Michelle » Thu Nov 22, 2007 5:25 pm

Congratulations Jackspirko. They are beautiful. Enjoy them!
Michelle
SA Reptiles Member

Postby snake-5 » Fri Nov 23, 2007 9:02 am

Skaapies are awesome. I got them as my 1st snakes, (spotted skaapies) they have a weird eating behaviour whereby they constrict mice/rats but chew and envenomate frogs.
MY RETICS ARE ADIMANT THAT PEOPLE TASTE LIKE CHICKEN.

Im Zenafobic... that zena chick from t.v scares the cr@# out of me.
snake-5
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Pythonodipsas » Wed Nov 28, 2007 9:16 am

Small correction snake-5, rather than true 'constriction', they wrap coils around the mouse to 'restrain' it while chewing in the venom. They would probably do this with any prey that is going to retaliate and bite back as the venom is slow acting.

Very nice snakes Jack! Glad they're eating.
`
If you wanna find out what's behind these cold eyes, you'll just have to claw your way through this disguise.
Roger Waters & David Gilmour - 1979
Pythonodipsas
SAReptiles Techie

Postby jackspirko » Tue Dec 11, 2007 5:13 am

Thanks to all! These guys continue to do well and I am well into construction of their new display viv with good lighting and lots of crawling room.

BV they are definitely wild caught. What I meant by handling of life in the bush was I was not sure if they got ruffed up just living in the bush or ruffed up by the people that captured them. I know sometimes captors are in things for profit and use nooses and other methods that are hard on snakes.
Jack Spirko

Check out "the site" on the
African House Snake - and get a free copy of "The Reptile Book", by Raymond L. Ditmars.
jackspirko
SA Reptiles Member

Return to Indigenous mildly venomous snakes