A little ID help?

South African snakes with venoms that are not considered to be medically important.

View gallery

A little ID help?

Postby Bernice » Thu Dec 13, 2007 12:26 pm

I got a conundrum on my hands....
I cant decide wheather this is a short snouted or an olive grass snake, the scale counts tell me it could be either... will someone who has a little more experience with these critters shed some light please... Thanx!
Happiness is a fat mouse and a warm rock!

Dont fly! 4X4! The noble eagle may soar! but a weasel wont get sucked into a jet intake valve...

Some people are like a slinky spring, they make you smile when you push them down a flight of stairs!
Bernice
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Thu Dec 13, 2007 12:30 pm

That looks like a short snouted to me. The olive grass snake does not occur near Pretoria which is where I assume you found it.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby Bernice » Thu Dec 13, 2007 12:37 pm

Cool thanx

Yes I found it in PTA east, out on Lynwood road.
Was a little concerned about its ID as it does not have the 'broad dorsal stripe' that is mentioned for a short snouted... (then again my book is a bit old)... this made me a little nervous 'caus the blighter got his teeth into me! :shock:
An hour later when nothing happened I figured I was probably safe ;) but still wasnt sure of the ID
Thanx for the input!
Happiness is a fat mouse and a warm rock!

Dont fly! 4X4! The noble eagle may soar! but a weasel wont get sucked into a jet intake valve...

Some people are like a slinky spring, they make you smile when you push them down a flight of stairs!
Bernice
SA Reptiles Member

Return to Indigenous mildly venomous snakes