Vipera ursinii moldavica

Snakes exotic to South Africa with venoms that are not considered to be medically important.

View gallery

Vipera ursinii moldavica

Postby Vipernhunter » Sat Nov 28, 2009 10:46 pm

Here are some pictures from a very rare species small viper which livea in lowland steps in east European (Romania)
This species is about an half meter long and eats rodents, big insects and lizzards. The Venom is the mildest Venom of all European Vipers or all Vipers on world. A bite dont need antivenom. From this species live about 120 examples in the wild. The biotop is 3 kilometers long and 300 meters wide. The last biotop of this viper.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Vipernhunter
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Vipera ursinii moldavica

Postby adrianx » Sat Nov 28, 2009 11:56 pm

Nice snakes mate...
If you want to run with the big dogs, don't piss like a puppy!
adrianx
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Sun Nov 29, 2009 5:28 pm

Cute little guys. I hope the area is being protected because one unscrupulous collector and the whole population could be damaged!

Are they being bred quite well in captivity? If I remember the need cold winters and cool summers?
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby Vipernhunter » Mon Nov 30, 2009 2:21 am

The biotop from these very rare snake have hot summer and cold winter. The active time is from April until October. The hotest temperature in summer is about 40 degree. The coldest in winter is - 25 degree. I think in no place it is so cold in South Africa. But this snake go in ground. The biotop is low land with small hills and had step character. But 98% are towns and agrar culture.
Yes, the biotop is protected. But 3 Kilometers from Biotop is a huge town and arroud the biotop a lot of agrar culture. I think in next ten years is end of this species.

Here a picture from biotop.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Vipernhunter
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Mon Nov 30, 2009 8:58 am

Very interesting. Such a pity they are not protected. Wow I thought the summers were fairly cool there. These snakes should be easy to keep in captivity and set up a survival plan outside of their natural environment. Did they have a wider historical distribution?
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby armata » Mon Nov 30, 2009 2:39 pm

Vipera ursinii and its subspecies are all pretty rare and most face problems. Even in protected areas such as Gran Sasso in Central Italy, Wild boar activity has caused problem. Here V.ursinii ursinii can exist in a small patch of prostrate juniper, particularly the females. V.u.rakosiensis occurs in just four populations in Hungary and is almost certainly extinct now in Austria. In Croatia V.u.macrops is localised and has been found alongside Vipera ammodytes ammodytes. It is also said to occur at lower level on Krk and perhaps other islands of the mainland coast.
' I get my kicks on Route 62 '
armata
SA Reptiles Honorary Member

Postby Vipernhunter » Mon Nov 30, 2009 8:16 pm

The highland Vipera ursinii ist not so rare and the biotops are much bigger than lowland ursinii.
Vipera ursinii ursinii live in mountain in South France and in Abruzzen Central Italian. The activity time is from end of april until end of september. In winter you can skying in biotop. These V.ursinii are the smallest from all

Vipera ursinii macrops have an big biotop and an big population. Biotop is about 1000 Meters from sea lever to about 1800 meters or a little more. Ursinii macrops live in Croatian, Bosnia, Albania and Greece. May be in Bulgarian. On Island KrK nobody find ursinii. These is a big story here in European.

The biotop from highland ursinii ist full with rock and nobody live in the biotops. Nobody make agrar culture.

The biotopes from lowland ursinii is super to building house, factories and make agrar culture.
Vipera ursinii rakosiensis live only in Hungary and in Romania. The rakosiensis from Hungary and from Romania looks like same and have no different.
Vipera ursinii moldavica have a lot colours and looks different. The Moldavica from terra typica looks like Ursinii rakosiensis. From middle east Romania the look like a mixed between Vipera renardi and ursinii rakosiensis. I breed all species of lowland ursinii. The problems with breeding and put back outside in nature is, that these Countries have no biotopes to put back. In Romania the small biotops are relics from East European Steps and are very bad to make agar culture. But now Romania is in European Union and the ursinii biotops around big cities. So in next year factories are on the ursinii biotops. I visit the biotops and they are protected. But in Romania nobody is interested if it is protected. I see horses in biotop, a farmer grow trees in this biotop and a lot of big bushes grow too. The ursinii don’t like this and the predators from ursinii live in bush like birds and chicken.
I think this is the same problem like in South Africa with some species of Bitis. That they live only in biotops were destroy from diamonds industry.
Vipernhunter
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Vipernhunter » Mon Nov 30, 2009 10:13 pm

Here some Biotops from Ursinii rakosiensis and a picture from a babiy about 3 weeks old. All ursinii get living babies.
Vipernhunter
SA Reptiles Member

Return to Exotic mildly venomous snakes