Forum announcement - EVERYONE be advised!

Website specific announcements.

Re: Forum announcement - EVERYONE be advised!

Postby Westley Price » Sat Jan 09, 2010 8:24 am

Herp Heaven, although we are all friends, you must remember that the majority of this forum is educational or scientific.

As moderators we discussed that we would not be as strict regarding these mistakes that you mentioned (capital i's) in the "casual" parts of the foum like "General Discussions" or "Fun and Games", but in forums where it matters, we'd prefer you keep the standards up.

As with BV's example above, not using a capital could change the whole meaning of your sentance.
"I am dying by inches from not having anybody to talk to about insects." - Charles Darwin
Westley Price
Forum gatekeeper

Postby froot » Sat Jan 09, 2010 5:41 pm

Herp Heaven thanks for your opinion. I do understand where you are coming from and I'm not posting to argue in any way.
A simple proven fact remains though, before I made the initial announcement the forums were becoming more and more inundated with unpleasant posts. People were becoming insulting and posts were starting to ooze laziness. We clamped down and that all disappeared. It may not be the most elegant solution but we cannot ignore the fact that it got results.

I have noticed that the quality of posts have been slipping again over the silly season, partly because we have been away from the site, and partly because we have relaxed a bit on the issuing of warnings. We don't enjoy being anal at all but it seems like it's a necessity from time to time.
We salute the improvement of the human genome by honoring those who remove themselves from it.
Of necessity, this honor is generally bestowed posthumously. - www.darwinawards.com
froot
Founder Member

Postby Herp Heaven » Sun Jan 10, 2010 7:44 am

Ok cool thanks. I understand a bit more clearly now! It all sounds good. Thanks.
Herp Heaven
SA Reptiles Member

Postby LadySphinx » Fri Jul 30, 2010 6:24 pm

I know this is a old post but I just want to give my 2 cents in this matter. I agree with Froot. I'm dyslexic even though to a lower degree. reading is hard enough for me and writing to but when people use lazy writing it is very hard for me to sometimes understand a post. Spelling and grammar rules help me a lot in making reading easier without them it makes a big different. If I see sms writing I sometimes don't even bother in trying.
LadySphinx
SA Reptiles Member

Postby pinkscales » Tue Oct 19, 2010 11:44 pm

Hi guys I agree with all this im very new to forum. I do many of these mistakes and apologize. I feel i have a lot to contribute and a lot to learn to. Thank you all for the good forum quality needs to be maintained. The new herpers need us to we all here to support other users and be supported for the greater good of our hobby, passion.life, and ultimatly for the benifit of the animals we keep.

I do use a hand held i is easy to make a mistake and being dislexic does not help ethet. Nor does the fact tha one cant scroll on a hand held to check ones writing. Some people here ive found are mean arrogant and ill leave it there. There are a huge amount of keepers at diffrent leavels i think that needs to be respected we all have to start some where. Dont forget where you came from.

However a high standard still need to maintained. I take my hat off to you lot it cant be easy. Thank you all for your dedication and hard work that makes this forum the best in SA.

Ps maybe a moblie version of this site may make it smartphone friendly.
pinkscales
SA Reptiles member (restricted)

Postby dannylomb » Wed Oct 20, 2010 1:00 am

Hello Moderator's, Founding member's and all SA Reptiles member's

I am very new at posting here though I have been using this Forum from 2008, I have seen the standard slipping and this surprised me SA Reptiles is one of the most informative Forum's on the internet.

I say everybody will make a mistake from time to time but having a look at a few post's, I sit here reading it five times to make sense of it all, I also agree that the slang and lingo should be kept out of the forum.
Another thing that I see and should also be taken under the fist the shortening of reptile names like: beardies, retics, burms, chams, RTB. These names means nothing to the novice reptile keeper and I think post should be for anyone to read and understand.

Keep up the good work with this great community and I hope for it to always be here.
dannylomb
SA Reptiles Member

Postby froot » Thu Oct 21, 2010 8:21 am

If you come across a post that annoys you then just click the '!' in the triangle at the top rhs - lol ok, right hand side of the post. That will bring it to our attention.
We salute the improvement of the human genome by honoring those who remove themselves from it.
Of necessity, this honor is generally bestowed posthumously. - www.darwinawards.com
froot
Founder Member

Postby andy777 » Thu Oct 21, 2010 10:26 am

Hi Moderators,

This is fantastic news, its a scientific hobby and needs to be respected as such. People will definitely respect the forum more if it has relevant information and does not become a social media site.

One thing that I would like to request but would probably not be possible, would be for you guys to try and clean up the site. Searching on this site has become a bit laborious having to read through all the comments that are there just for the sake of it!

I know I am asking for something almost impossible but it would be great :)
andy777
SA Reptiles Member

Postby froot » Thu Oct 21, 2010 12:01 pm

Do we have a volunteer?
froot
Founder Member

Postby Graeme » Thu Oct 21, 2010 3:17 pm

I really wish I could Froot.
As someone mentioned on the first page of this thread, there are people who obviously think that by commenting on everything out there, whether they are contributing or not, are building up some sort of a reputation as resident experts.
These members cheapen topics for me and I end up skipping the whole post that I would otherwise have loved to read.
This is just me, but unfortunately I don't believe there is a simple and practical way to get rid of the problem.
Apart from having 24 hour playground monitors, I can't think of anything.

Anyways good luck and keep up the good work.

If it's all the same to you, this was posted from my phone.
The preview function has a purpose.
Graeme
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Urucone » Thu Oct 21, 2010 9:36 pm

I'm with graeme on this, I’m tired of reading "Cool", "Nice", and ext. if it was a little elaborated then fine, but one word cr@p is cheap.

@All - If you post something spell check it with word and post it, this will already help allot.
Urucone
SA Reptiles Member

Postby monopeltis » Thu Oct 21, 2010 10:36 pm

"@All - If you post something spell check it with word and post it, this will already help allot.'

"allot"? Oh the irony! ;)
Sorry i could not help myself...just found it funny.
monopeltis
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Urucone » Thu Oct 21, 2010 10:46 pm

Thanks monopeltis, remind me to repay the favour sometime
Go spell check it on word, no red underlining.
Urucone
SA Reptiles Member

Postby dannylomb » Thu Oct 21, 2010 11:03 pm

I don't know about you but the forum does a check while you type.
dannylomb
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Urucone » Thu Oct 21, 2010 11:26 pm

No, I haven’t noticed anything related with a spell check, there is an edit that pops up now and then, but that’s it.
Urucone
SA Reptiles Member

PreviousNext

Return to Forum announcements