Weird behaviour

Weird behaviour

Postby Cornelius » Mon Sep 07, 2009 8:16 pm

Good day

I have a male bearded dragon close to a year old. Over the last week he started scratching in his cage like mad, It has gotten to a point now where he has almost no more nails left on his front paws. I have not changed anything in his environment and i can not think of anything that might be causing this.
Has any of you ever noted this? is it something i should be concerned about?

Your input would be highly appreciated

Regards
Corne
There is something that is much more scarce, something finer by far , something rarer than ability.
It is the Ability to recognise Ability

http://www.facebook.com/pages/West-Rand-Herpetological-Association/125756994130804?v=photos#!/pages/West-Rand-Herpetological-Association/125756994130804
Cornelius
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Weird behaviour

Postby eyelash viper » Mon Sep 07, 2009 8:42 pm

ha ha are you sure he is not a female ? females dig in the substrate to lay their eggs . the other thing is the temp might be too high coz we going into summer . hope its any good .
Nature is there for every mans need Not his greed !!!
eyelash viper
SA Reptiles Member

Postby BEARDIE&BOX » Mon Sep 07, 2009 11:34 pm

Nah, I think it's telling you to come get a new CAGE from me...Lol
Not knowing something is normally a milestone on the way to knowledge!
1.1.0 Elaphe Gutatta Gutatta
0.1.0 BCI Boa Constrictor Imperator
1.0.0 BCC Boa Constictor Constrictor
1.0.0 Orthriophis Taeniura Friesi
0.1.0 Lampropeltis Banana King
BEARDIE&BOX
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Cornelius » Tue Sep 08, 2009 12:43 pm

No he is in one of your cages. lol

I have changed the basking lamp to a 25w so i will see what happens now. He is actually sitting with his front feet sort of up now. Hope he will be ok.

Thanks
There is something that is much more scarce, something finer by far , something rarer than ability.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/West-Rand-Herpetological-Association/125756994130804?v=photos#!/pages/West-Rand-Herpetological-Association/125756994130804
Cornelius
SA Reptiles Member

Postby HOUSE OF DRAGONS » Tue Sep 08, 2009 1:29 pm

just double check the sex, the only time i saw my male wanna get out is when he made the biggest poo eva and nobody could breath when i opened the glass.
HOUSE OF DRAGONS
SA Reptiles Member

Postby eyelash viper » Wed Sep 09, 2009 12:17 am

hahaha yea but i dont think you have anything to worry about too much ... lol just keep an eye on the temp kind regards eyelash viper
Nature is there for every mans need Not his greed !!!
eyelash viper
SA Reptiles Member

Postby BEARDIE&BOX » Wed Sep 09, 2009 6:59 am

Cornelius wrote:No he is in one of your cages. lol

I have changed the basking lamp to a 25w so i will see what happens now. He is actually sitting with his front feet sort of up now. Hope he will be ok.

Thanks

My female does that every day caus she's used to climbing out of her cage and room around the house and outside. Nothing to worry about, open the glass pane and look what he does?
BEARDIE&BOX
SA Reptiles Member

Postby forest » Thu Sep 10, 2009 9:08 am

Cornelius wrote:No he is in one of your cages. lol

Thanks

That is a bit scary. Do you have a decent digital temperature cage? You have to know at all times that the basking area is between 37 to 43C. The ambient and cold site temp needs to be 23 - 29.

How big is the cage? Doe he have anything to keep himself busy with, for example rocks to run over, branches to clime etc?
I am too emotional about animals. Please forgive me for thinking with my heart.

Linky
forest
SA Reptiles Member

Postby BEARDIE&BOX » Wed Sep 16, 2009 9:59 am

That is a bit scary. Do you have a decent digital temperature cage? You have to know at all times that the basking area is between 37 to 43C. The ambient and cold site temp needs to be 23 - 29.

How big is the cage? Doe he have anything to keep himself busy with, for example rocks to run over, branches to clime etc?[/quote]

Wow, I'll think twice before exposing my beardies to such high temps? Cornelius the cage you are using is just fine, basking side max 35 deg, cool side can go as low as 17 deg to 25. High temps can cause severe damage, but you know yourself what the temps should be, and if it's a temp related and your cage is 43C and I was your beardie I'll break the glass to get out, nevermind just scratching! M2C
BEARDIE&BOX
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Cornelius » Wed Sep 16, 2009 5:29 pm

Thanks for all the replies guys.

It is definably a he, and he is fine now. Went through a week of madness and now he is back to his old self again. Weird i know!

Thanks again

Cornelius
SA Reptiles Member

Postby forest » Tue Sep 22, 2009 8:14 am

The temperatures that I gave are on a care sheet of forum that are voted as one of the top 5 best reptiles sites in the world.

http://www.herpcenter.com/bearded-dragon-caresheet.html

These temps were actually researched and not guessed. Obviously the high temps will not work if your dragon stays in a small cage.

Linky
forest
SA Reptiles Member

Postby BEARDIE&BOX » Tue Sep 22, 2009 6:14 pm

forest wrote:The temperatures that I gave are on a care sheet of forum that are voted as one of the top 5 best reptiles sites in the world.

http://www.herpcenter.com/bearded-dragon-caresheet.html

These temps were actually researched and not guessed. Obviously the high temps will not work if your dragon stays in a small cage.

Better to stay with SA websites....www.beardeddragons.co.za
BEARDIE&BOX
SA Reptiles Member

Postby forest » Wed Sep 23, 2009 12:11 pm

I dont know so much, people in SA does not even give their dragons water and my dragons jump in our swimming pool when ever they are hot, plus have a shower every night! I much rather stick to the proven best where things are based on facts with research to back it up instead of assumptions and speculations.

Linky
forest
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Reptard » Wed Sep 23, 2009 1:08 pm

Temperatures are supposed to be between 35 and 40 degrees (hot spot) as on beardeddragons.co.za, which Beardie&Box suggested.

Beardies are also desert creatures, and are not in need of water, such as swimming pools, and assumtions such as people in SA dont know what they are doing, is only true of those, that, well, dont know what they are doing! Proper research should always be done, and there are many of us, who are actually passionate about helping others out, and teaching them!

Anyway, I agree, that it could be your temps, but also, do you have anything black close to his cage?
I know this may sound strange, but a lot of beardies I have been around, sometimes have a strange reaction to black clothes or furniture etc...

Also, does your tanks lights attract moths etc by any chance?
Now that its summer, the moths flutter outside the glass by my tanks, and drive my beardies mad!!! They run up and down, and scratch like mad!
Reptard's Reptiles
Where even reptards are loved! ;-)
Reptard
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Cornelius » Wed Sep 23, 2009 7:13 pm

Thanks again for the reply's. He is fine now and everything is back to normal, i have had him for a year so the sudden change was a bit weird.

Regards

Cornelius
SA Reptiles Member

Next

Return to Bearded dragons (Pogona vitticeps)