Bearded Dragons in the Western Cape

Bearded Dragons in the Western Cape

Postby Rodwraylva » Thu Dec 30, 2010 11:18 pm

According to my knowledge they are illegal in the Western Cape or am I miss informed?
Rodwraylva
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Bearded Dragons in the Western Cape

Postby MacAdder » Thu Dec 30, 2010 11:54 pm

Rodwraylva wrote:According to my knowledge they are illegal in the Western Cape or am I miss informed?

Yip these little fellows are because someone is under the misunderstanding that bearded dragons are invasive to the W/Cape.
MacAdder
SA Reptiles member (restricted)

Postby reptilefeeders » Fri Dec 31, 2010 7:08 am

As far as i know it is still illegal to keep bearded Dragons in the Western Cape. There was talks a while back that this would change but i dont think anything came from that.
reptilefeeders
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Rodwraylva » Fri Dec 31, 2010 10:34 am

I am browsing for a cage for a corn snake at the moment, and search corn on gum tree, stumbled upon a guy trying to sell beardies over gumtree, advertised tarantulas as well. when i looked for add today it was gone, removed. I have only seen beardies in front of me like three times, twice when I was in KZN saw at a pet shop and at my moms aunt's house where we stayed cannot remember the third :D
Rodwraylva
SA Reptiles Member

Postby atropos » Fri Dec 31, 2010 10:39 am

It's not a misunderstanding that they are invasive but the fact that they have the potential to become invasive.
Dedicated to the snakes of the Western Cape and to those that conserve them - www.capesnakeconservation.com
atropos
SA Reptiles Member

Postby TonyK » Fri Dec 31, 2010 11:19 am

atropos wrote:It's not a misunderstanding that they are invasive but the fact that they have the potential to become invasive.

Who conducted that study ?I would be very interested in reading it.Can you please post a link .Thanks
TonyK
SA Reptiles Member

Postby MacAdder » Fri Dec 31, 2010 5:28 pm

TonyK wrote:Who conducted that study ?I would be very interested in reading it.Can you please post a link .Thanks

TonyK no study or proof needed because "the what if" scenario shifts the burden of proof on to "Joe Public". "Joe" then must pay for an independent study to scientifically prove that "what if" is extremely improbable bordering on impossible.

The person who suggested the "what if" reasoning will become annoyed that is professionalism has been challenged and will again shift the goal posts and so the game will continue.
MacAdder

Postby it_bit_me » Sat Jan 01, 2011 6:03 am

They are hard to get but I've seen one on a permit. Apply and see what happens.
If I'm gonna be an old, lonely man, I'm gonna need a thing, you know, a hook, like that guy on the subway who eats his own face. So I figure I'll be Crazy Man with a Snake, y'know. Crazy Snake Man. And I'll get more snakes, call them my babies, kids won't walk past my place, they will run. "Run away from Crazy Snake Man, " they'll shout!”
it_bit_me
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Rodwraylva » Sun Jan 02, 2011 6:32 pm

Thank you for all the in put, it_bit_me, I am not implying that I want one, but I saw an add on gumtree where someone was selling them in Western Cape.
Rodwraylva
SA Reptiles Member

Postby TonyK » Sun Jan 02, 2011 7:31 pm

Rodwraylva wrote: I saw an add on gumtree where someone was selling them in Western Cape.

Thats the part that makes no sense to me,almost every time I check Gumtree or Cape Adds I see somebody selling Bearded Dragons or Green Iggys.Seems nothing ever happens to these breeders who just do as they please.I even asked the one lady if she was scared of Cape Nature catching her and she just shrugged it off as if its nothing.
TonyK
SA Reptiles Member

Postby F1refly » Mon Jan 03, 2011 3:11 pm

TonyK wrote:
Rodwraylva wrote: I saw an add on gumtree where someone was selling them in Western Cape.

Thats the part that makes no sense to me,almost every time I check Gumtree or Cape Adds I see somebody selling Bearded Dragons or Green Iggys.Seems nothing ever happens to these breeders who just do as they please.I even asked the one lady if she was scared of Cape Nature catching her and she just shrugged it off as if its nothing.

Well.........some people just don't think they will ever be caught. But in most cases it's because the people don't realise it is illegal to keep these animals. I for one don't know why Bearded Dragons are illegal in the Cape but I am happy I live in the Free State. Viva La Free State.
"Welcome to Megaton, the Bomb is perfectely safe" - Deputy Weld, Fallout 3

"People don't die in America because of lack of Health Insurance. People die in America because people die in America" - Stephen Colbert

"Just because you don't understand how electricity works, doesn't mean it's the work of god"

Reptiles
1.0.0 Python regius
0.1.0 Pogona vitticeps
0.0.1 Elaphe guttata guttata
0.0.1 Eublepharis macularis
F1refly
SA Reptiles Member

Postby TonyK » Mon Jan 03, 2011 9:44 pm

atropos wrote:It's not a misunderstanding that they are invasive but the fact that they have the potential to become invasive.

Hey I am still waiting for atropos to back up his post with some hard facts .Please guys do not make up your own stuff, rather lets keep to the facts.
TonyK
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Omen » Tue Jan 04, 2011 2:16 pm

hey all,just wondering where i can go and apply for a license as i live in CT, i would like to see what happens as i am looking for one on the correct basis
Omen
SA Reptiles Member

Postby MacAdder » Tue Jan 04, 2011 2:28 pm

Omen wrote:hey all,just wondering where i can go and apply for a license as i live in CT, i would like to see what happens as i am looking for one on the correct basis

You have to have a registered rehabilitation center. Only one exists as it is very difficult to "make the grade". Even then you will run into problems because if these guys allow you to have a beardie it sets a president.
MacAdder

Postby TonyK » Tue Jan 04, 2011 5:09 pm

MacAdder wrote:You have to have a registered rehabilitation center. Only one exists as it is very difficult to "make the grade".

Very interesting MacAdder ,what are the details of the rehab center? I would love to get involved, as long as it has nothing to do with the Cape Town SPCA.
TonyK
SA Reptiles Member

Next

Return to Bearded dragons (Pogona vitticeps)