Introducing my beardies?

Introducing my beardies?

Postby rolandrau » Fri May 27, 2011 7:02 am

Hi Guys,

Skilly my 5month old male beardie has been alone since we got him. We got a new female on the weekend, who i would like to introduce
and have them be buddies. From what i have read and learned over the last couple of months is that beardies are in actual fact loners and
prefer being alone as they are in the wild and only hook up to mate.

So with that in mind they are both in separate tanks. I occasionally remove the wooden sides of the males tank so he can see the female and
what follows is the reasoning i havent yet put them in the same tank. The black beard (obviously) and the arm waving, BUT with the black
beard comes this manic almost possed behaviour. I'm really scared to put them together in case of injury to either.

Size wise, skilly (the male) is a little bit longer than she is and a little wider body wise, his head seems almost double hers.

Do i take the risk and do the introduction, or should i keep them separate until they are both a big older when i would guess the introduction could be more heated?

The tank size is 120cm x 65cm x 65cm, so its ample size to house more than one, and her tank is 150cm x 65cm x 85cm, i read introductions should be done in the
females tank to avoid it becoming terrotorial.

Appreciate your advice...

Thanks

Roland
rolandrau
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Introducing my beardies?

Postby neko » Fri May 27, 2011 12:07 pm

Is skillie doing the arm waving? What does the other beardie, and are you sure of the sexing? I only ask because as far as I know arm waving is a sign of submission. Is there any headbopping gonig on?
It's peanutbutter jelly time! GET SOME!!
neko
SA Reptiles Honorary Member

Postby rolandrau » Fri May 27, 2011 12:29 pm

HI,

Yes sure on the sexing:

Skilly (slightly bigger male): black beard and head bobbing
Squirm (female): mexican waver

:-)
rolandrau
SA Reptiles Member

Postby neko » Fri May 27, 2011 2:06 pm

I would suggest that you wait till they are both a bit older and the same size before trying to put them together. That is just my opinion though.
It's peanutbutter jelly time! GET SOME!!
neko
SA Reptiles Honorary Member

Postby rolandrau » Fri May 27, 2011 2:28 pm

Thanks, i recon i will just leave them as is, they seem quite happy in their little worlds at the moment :-)

Thanks for the advice....
rolandrau
SA Reptiles Member

Return to Bearded dragons (Pogona vitticeps)