Newbie Bearded Dragon Questions

Newbie Bearded Dragon Questions

Postby McCoy » Sun Dec 27, 2015 9:10 am

We have taken over a gifted dragon from a someone and have some questions.

Which globes are required? The cage has space for 3 globes. We understand there are different globes required. If I want to go to the shop to buy them, what do we ask for and will only find it at pet shops?

Secondly, will this provide enough heat? There is a heat pad in the cage, but it is at the bottom, which I understand is not an optimal way of heating. Can we do something else with the heat pad or is it OK to have it at the bottom?

The bottom is currently covered with a felt like carpet and I understand it is not good and should rather be sand. Can I use sand from the sand pit or must it be some special sand.

How often do you clean the cage and is it OK to bath it and how?

Any other tips welcome.
McCoy
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Newbie Bearded Dragon Questions

Postby Bernice » Sun Dec 27, 2015 6:17 pm

For sake of brevity:
Lamps: UV and heat (ceramic or infrared), normal light for just... light (not needed if the cage gets enough ambient light)
Substrate: newspaper, sand, or half-sand-half-potting-soil, I believe sandpit sand is fine but be careful as it sometimes has chemicals added to prevent ringworm in kiddies playgrounds... must be chemical free!
Bath: How big is beardy? for an adult about 1-2cm or water in a basin or the bath, the water must be about 25 degrees C, that is on the cool side of luke warm when you feel it... let lizard sit in the water for a few minutes, if he freaks out, put him in a dry basin first and then slowly add water until required depth, repeat once a month or as required to aid shedding and relieve constipation...
Cage Cleaning: spot clean soiled areas as they occur, and a proper scrub and disinfect at LEAST once a month...

Please dont take my word for it all! this is VERY basic info... please search the forum as this sort of topic has been widely debated and discussed, I know there is some debate as to the type of UV light and the pros and cons of infrared and ceramic heaters.

One other thing... there is NO substitute for real unfiltered sunlight, please make time to put beardy in the sun as often as possible, perhaps even make an outdoor enclosure from mesh, so that he can have sunshine (please remember he must have access to shade if he overheats!!!)
Happiness is a fat mouse and a warm rock!

Dont fly! 4X4! The noble eagle may soar! but a weasel wont get sucked into a jet intake valve...

Some people are like a slinky spring, they make you smile when you push them down a flight of stairs!
Bernice
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Newbie Bearded Dragon Questions

Postby Bernice » Sun Dec 27, 2015 6:38 pm

Oh and feeding...
Grated veg and leafy greens available at all times, avoid brassicales (veg containing sulfur like broccoli, spinach etc), watery food like cucumber, lettuce and fruit must be used sparingly as it causes a runny tummy... 'Meat' like roaches and crickets must be given every second to third day, and no bug must be longer than the gap between the beardies eyes! If meal worms are fed to subadult dragons, crush the head so they dont bite! small beardies might not chew their food properly yet... I am unsure as to the number of bugs to give though...
Happiness is a fat mouse and a warm rock!

Dont fly! 4X4! The noble eagle may soar! but a weasel wont get sucked into a jet intake valve...

Some people are like a slinky spring, they make you smile when you push them down a flight of stairs!
Bernice
SA Reptiles Member

Return to Bearded dragons (Pogona vitticeps)