Beardie Acting strange

Beardie Acting strange

Postby Noah_ZA » Tue Feb 16, 2016 2:50 pm

Hi Guys.

I recently bought myself my first Beardie, had him for about a month now :)

I was told by the previous owner that i should try and get him some sun every now and again,
which i try to do every day. I put him outside to bask in the sun for about 30 mins and then put
him back in his terrarium, however every time, after about an hour, he goes completely mad.

He starts glass surfing, his beard goes extremely black, and this has only every happened 3 times
All of them being right after hes been outside in the sun for a bit?

Any suggestions on what could be going on?

Thanks.
Noah_ZA
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Beardie Acting strange

Postby Ruan Stander » Tue Feb 16, 2016 2:57 pm

It could perhaps be seeing some birds or just generally getting stressed by being out of its enclosure in a foreign overwhelming environment. Or perhaps it enjoys the feeling of something close to freedom.
The way to success has no shortcuts.
Ruan Stander
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Mel28 » Sun May 01, 2016 9:03 pm

If you have a sliding door, you can have her inside the house while she gets some sun and watch the outside world. My beardie loves it. She also gets scared if it is too "open". Even if she sits on my lap while outside, she still gets stressed.
Mel28
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Mon May 02, 2016 4:38 pm

Putting him in the sun behind glass serves ZERO purpose. He is supposed to be in the sun under mesh of some sort so that he can get direct sunlight (UV) on his skin. Build him a cage out of a sturdy frame (wood, aluminium etc) with shade cloth or mesh around it and put him in the sun for a few hours a week. It must not be in the middle of the day and he must always have access to water and shade at all times. Make sure he is not confronted by cats, dogs or even mynah birds.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Return to Bearded dragons (Pogona vitticeps)