Questions on Night Adder

South African snakes with venoms that are considered to be medically important.

View Gallery

Re: Questions on Night Adder

Postby it_bit_me » Sun Jan 22, 2012 1:32 am

Problem is there is no such thing as a beginner hot. You are either never handling the snake as with venomous or you are handling them cause they are not. Trying to work your way up is a silly notion. I am not saying you need big kahoonies to own venomous but you are either an adult who doesn't have to... hold it.... or you are an kid who wants a trophy snake.
Real snakekeepers have their training wheels on 24/7.
If I'm gonna be an old, lonely man, I'm gonna need a thing, you know, a hook, like that guy on the subway who eats his own face. So I figure I'll be Crazy Man with a Snake, y'know. Crazy Snake Man. And I'll get more snakes, call them my babies, kids won't walk past my place, they will run. "Run away from Crazy Snake Man, " they'll shout!”
it_bit_me
SA Reptiles Member

Postby rolandslf » Sun Jan 22, 2012 2:05 pm

You know, I really like what you are saying about the training wheels. I have had them on for about 12 years straight, and find that with some of my snakes, and I only keep non-venomous, I still have to have them on.
It is better to be Pissed Off than Pissed On.
Roland Friskin
rolandslf
SA Reptiles Member

Postby scotty121 » Sun Jan 22, 2012 9:26 pm

Thanks but can I ask one more question? If I get bite should I get ant-venom?
If at first you don't succeed it won't hurt to smoke some weed, Dr Dre.
scotty121
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Unforgiven » Mon Jan 23, 2012 8:53 am

scotty121 wrote:Thanks but can I ask one more question? If I get bite should I get ant-venom?

That depends.

Would you like to suffer from medium to extreme pain or are willing to risk losing anything
Fear not, forgiveness is in grasp
Unforgiven
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Mehelya » Mon Jan 23, 2012 9:36 am

Our polyvalent anti-venom does not cover Night Adder venom, so it would be both dangerous, and pointless to have it administered in the event of a bite. Not to mention expensive.
Rian
If I wasn't me, then I'd probably be someone else...
Forceps. Not fingers...
Yes, it probably will bite you if you carry on that way...
Mehelya
SA Reptiles Member

Postby rolandslf » Mon Jan 23, 2012 11:52 am

There is no Anti - Venom for a Night Adder Bite, neither is any required.
Out of 4 bites that I personally know of, no limb or didget was lost either. All four victims made a full recovery.
It is better to be Pissed Off than Pissed On.
Roland Friskin
rolandslf
SA Reptiles Member

Postby froot » Mon Jan 23, 2012 1:09 pm

it_bit_me wrote:Problem is there is no such thing as a beginner hot. You are either never handling the snake as with venomous or you are handling them cause they are not. Trying to work your way up is a silly notion. I am not saying you need big kahoonies to own venomous but you are either an adult who doesn't have to... hold it.... or you are an kid who wants a trophy snake.
Real snakekeepers have their training wheels on 24/7.

I LIKE this post.
There is always the possibility that any foreign molecules in your bloodstream could trigger a life threatening allergic reaction be it from a honey bee or a cape cobra.
Scotty before you go picking up any more snakes with your bare hands do yourself a favour and go buy a reptile field guide, take it with you into the field and keep it open between you and any snake you find. You got lucky this time, next time it might be a stiletto.
We salute the improvement of the human genome by honoring those who remove themselves from it.
Of necessity, this honor is generally bestowed posthumously. - www.darwinawards.com
froot
Founder Member

Postby Serpent » Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:21 pm

Night adders are a great first hot! Back in the day we never had any exotic stuff, we just progressed from housie, to herald, to skaapstekers, sandsnakes and then onto night adders and so on. I know of few seasoned keepers who have infact not been bitten by a night adder. And every single one will tell you its no laughing matter. I am not sure how old you are my boy, but if you are going around picking up unidentified snakes with your bare hands, you are gonna get bit. We can only hope that when that time comes, it is a common night adder and not something more sinister. Having said this, a night adder bite is just enough soreness and seriousness to teach you some much needed respect for the snakes you handle. I had my first night adder at age 13, I had it not even two weeks and I got nabbed on my middle finger, and properly! Heavy bleeding, followed by excrutiating pain and severe swelling and discolouration from my shoulder down. The extreme pain subsided after 6 to 8 hours! The tenderness and swelling lasted a week, my middle finger still to this day is slightly scarred and is softer than the rest. They can have very different effects from person to person. But rather a night adder, than a white lip, or puffy, or rattler, etc. They are easy to keep, and easy to feed if you have lots of frogs in your area.
Serpent
SA Reptiles Member

Previous

Return to Indigenous highly venomous snakes