Aspidelaps lubricus infuscatus

South African snakes with venoms that are considered to be medically important.

View Gallery

Aspidelaps lubricus infuscatus

Postby lampie » Tue Jul 17, 2012 8:20 pm

:smt006
I think the scientific name changed.I need some information on the Western- or Namibian coral snake as I cannot find anything on the internet.I need information like -
At what temperature must they be kept (summer and winter,day and night temperatures)?
As the females grow to 60cm+ about what size must a males cage be aswell as a females cage?
I'm basically need a care sheet
Any information will appreciated.
Angolan coral snakes pair
Ball python female
White lip tree viper female
Californian king snake male
lampie
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Aspidelaps lubricus infuscatus

Postby jka » Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:22 pm

I have kept cowlesi and lubricus, I keep them the same.

I have kept both species in display cages with sand as substrate but the easiest now that I found works the best is keeping them in tubs on news paper or woodshavings with a nice bit waterbowl the ones you use for dogs and cats.
They are hardy animals 26 - 28C should do just fine. Humidity I didn't really bother checking.They are pretty easy snakes, the requirements are basic.

I keep both my male and female separate in 11L tubs and they are fine, they are healthy and eat like beasts!
Evolution is an imperfect and often violent process. A battle between what exists, and what is yet to be born.
jka
SA Reptiles Member

Postby kfc223 » Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:26 pm

Why does a 14 year old kid need hots?

Do you have any idea how bad it will look for the hobby if you get tagged have a allergic reaction and die?

There are some amazing non venomous snakes out there.
kfc223
SA Reptiles Member

Postby shadowfoot » Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:27 pm

+1 to what jka said. I keep mine exactly the same (in a tub on newspaper) and have never had problems with them.
Shining brightly, even for a split
second, is better than living a
dull-grey life for eternity - Jing (King Of Bandits)
A life without gambling is like
sushi without wasabi - Gintoki (Gintama)
I have no fear of losing my life - if I have to save a koala or a crocodile or a kangaroo or a snake, mate, I will save it - Steve Irwin
shadowfoot
SA Reptiles Member

Postby J.C » Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:44 pm

No offense Kfc.

I was 13 when I got my 1st hot. Got a Snouted Cobra,I see nothing wrong with it! I taught my little brother how to work with hots since he was 8 and he is now 13 as well,I will not hesitate to ask him to feed my snakes if I'm not there.

Age is a number,if he can handle a venomous snake why not?

Its the same as a old oomie getting a venomous snake,he will also be likely to get bitten as the speed won't be there,but no one will ever say anything about that would they?

I'm not fighting with anyone,I just don't like it that everyone is always jittery when it comes to age. My opinion!

J.C
Never mistake my silence for ignorance, calmness for acceptance or kindness for weakness.
J.C
SA Reptiles Member

Postby J.C » Tue Jul 17, 2012 11:00 pm

Kfc

I do agree with you that it will look bad. There is always a risk,I do agree with you 100%,but I know a 21year old that works more recklessly with hots then any other person I've seen,even on Darwin awards!
Never mistake my silence for ignorance, calmness for acceptance or kindness for weakness.
J.C
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Ruan Stander » Wed Jul 18, 2012 9:28 am

Youngsters handling venomous species is a sensitive topic.

kfc223, I am not aware of the reasoning behind your questioning of a fourteen-year-old having a "hot". I am assuming it is related to you knowing what the consequences of a bite would be.
Personally I agree with J.C., I do not have a problem with it provided that the child is very responsible and mature- qualities that many of that age lack. I have also been working with "hots" since the age of fifteen.

I do however strongly agree with you on the impact that the death of a child handling a "hot" would have on the hobby. Like I have said before, the public does not care how qualified, responsible or competent a child is. A death would cause an outcry.

Every child handling venomous species puts him/herself at risk of getting bitten, and that is the problem. If one of us gets bitten and dies, it will be a hard blow to the hobby.
The way to success has no shortcuts.
Ruan Stander
SA Reptiles Member

Postby lampie » Wed Jul 18, 2012 5:19 pm

I already have a whitelip,I've done a handling course at Mike Perry and I got my certificate.My parents said if I get bitten they are going to give all my snakes away ,and I don't want that to happen at all !!!! So I'm not planning to get bitten not now not in the future.
Ball python female
lampie
SA Reptiles Member

Postby lampie » Wed Jul 18, 2012 5:33 pm

:smt006
Jka-is Cowlesi the Angolan or Western(Namibian) coral snake

Thanks everyone for all the help it will sure help a lot :D :D :-P
Ball python female
lampie
SA Reptiles Member

Postby lampie » Wed Jul 18, 2012 5:42 pm

Kfc223-If you were in my shoes what would you do :arrow: listen to someone saying it's a bad idea or would you take the snake you always wanted to have and finally got permission.I'm not looking to fight with you Kfc223 I'm just trying to get you to understand.
Ball python female
lampie
SA Reptiles Member

Postby it_bit_me » Wed Jul 18, 2012 7:12 pm

kfc223 wrote:There are some amazing non venomous snakes out there.

100% I think these kids are a bit shallow and obviously full of excuses. :smt012
If I'm gonna be an old, lonely man, I'm gonna need a thing, you know, a hook, like that guy on the subway who eats his own face. So I figure I'll be Crazy Man with a Snake, y'know. Crazy Snake Man. And I'll get more snakes, call them my babies, kids won't walk past my place, they will run. "Run away from Crazy Snake Man, " they'll shout!”
it_bit_me
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Ruan Stander » Wed Jul 18, 2012 8:03 pm

lampie, nobody plans on getting bitten, I am pretty certain of that. Nevermind losing your snakes if you get bitten, what about losing your life ? That would have major implications on the hobby.

it bit me, I'm rather surprised that you label me as shallow when you do not know me by anything other than what I have posted. I agree, there are wonderful harmless species. However some very appealing species happen to be venomous and I am not bothered by that fact. I simply handle them with the utmost caution and only when absolutely necessary.

I know this is hypocritical but to specify an earlier statement of mine I am not a big fan of children keeping venomous species and I believe that a more appropriate age to start looking into that is around sixteen. The biggest concern is that many children list "venomous" as a criterium for a new snake to get, and then look at which ones are appealing. Getting a "hot" just because it is "hot" is stupid.
The way to success has no shortcuts.
Ruan Stander
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Marion » Thu Jul 19, 2012 9:41 pm

OK People - now a comment from an old f...t! I have custody of my 10 year old grandchildren - a boy and a girl. The boy is a bit of a wuss (thank goodness) but my granddaughter is a lot like me and will give most things a try.

I don't keep snakes because I really don't know enough about them. I love my lizards though. I know being told that you are too young at 14 really gets up your nose!!! But I really think that people on the forum are concerned about the consequences if you get bitten. Even a bite by a cranky little python is sore and being bitten by a bosc monitor (I have 2) is extremely painful - but not life threatening. "Hots" are - if you get bitten.

I hope your parents also have a keen interest in the hobby, so that they can perhaps "keep an eye" on things when you are handling your babies. If they have given you permission to keep such an animal I think they should also be well versed in the good, the bad and the ugly that can happen. It would also be a really good idea if they know what to do and what not to do in an emergency. Even if you know what to do, it's not going to do you much good if you become unconscious!!

I know that nobody is going to change your mind about keeping "hots" but PLEASE for your own sake and everyone else who worries about you - DO NOT handle any of those snakes if you are alone at home. It is always advisable to have someone on standby for that "just in case". I think this is true for anyone and everyone, young or old, that keep these guys.

My grand children are allowed to handle my lizards only when I am present. It's for their own safety as well as for that of the animal - and gran's nervous heart!!! I would hate them to get bitten or hurt the animal by mistake.

So my advice - just be very careful and always be vigilant - things can get out of hand very quickly and that is not a situation anyone wants to find themselves in.

Good luck and let us know how things are going from time to time.

Marion
Marion
SA Reptiles Member

Postby jka » Fri Jul 20, 2012 10:21 am

lampie wrote::smt006
Jka-is Cowlesi the Angolan or Western(Namibian) coral snake

Thanks everyone for all the help it will sure help a lot :D :D :-P

At the moment only two species are recognized, Aspidelaps lubricus, and Aspidelaps cowlesi so if its not a Cape coral its cowlesi

Now the thing is people mix up the latin names and common names and its confusing, and now that infuscatus and cowlesi are one in the same its even more confusion.
Evolution is an imperfect and often violent process. A battle between what exists, and what is yet to be born.
jka
SA Reptiles Member

Postby lampie » Fri Jul 20, 2012 1:40 pm

Marion-my dad does also like snakes but not as much as me.When he was young he had 13 BHS and a baby Aurora.He always go with me into the veld to look for snakes. :D

Jka-Thanks for the info :D
Ball python female
lampie
SA Reptiles Member

Next

Return to Indigenous highly venomous snakes