hot or not?

South African snakes with venoms that are considered to be medically important.

View Gallery

hot or not?

Postby snake kid » Sat Sep 29, 2012 9:26 pm

So I have a pair of night adders (causes rhombeatus) that I might want to sell, and there is a kid that would like to buy them. He is 16 years old and has just competed Johan's handling coarse. But I still don't think its right to sell them to him because of his age. I know the nighties aren't deadly but they still give a nasty bite and I have seen people loose fingers from them. He is adamant that he is capable of keeping them?

So what I did was, I said ill ask the good people of SA reptiles opinion. So lady's and gents let the comments begin and please no arguments i am just asking your opinions.
3.1. BCI
1.0. Burmese python
1.0. Taiwanese ratsnake
2.0. Cornsnake 1 normal 1 Butter
1.2. Brown house snake
1.1. Olive house snake
1.0. Mole snake
1.1. Rhombic egg eater
1.0. Coral snake
1.1. Red lipped herald
0.1. Cape cobra
1.1. Night adder
1.1. Puff adder
1.0. boomslang
snake kid
SA Reptiles Member

Re: hot or not?

Postby fastback » Sat Sep 29, 2012 10:06 pm

I think, first and foremost need to get the consent from the kids parents.
And then take it from there.

Weather you sell to the kid or someone else does, it sounds like he going to get himself some kind of "hot" snake.

The advantage, if you do sell the snakes to him you can help him and just show him the ropes, instead of some guy who just sees dollar signs walking in.
fastback
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Herald_23 » Sat Sep 29, 2012 11:22 pm

Two words: aptitude. Competence
As Fastback said, you'll need consent from the parents to make the exchange legal.
If he is of aptitude and is competent, I see no problem at his age.

Saying that he has 'just completed the handling course' suggests that you cannot keep venomous snakes until you have completed the course. I know a few guys who have not completed handling courses and handle snakes on the same level, if not better, than those who have.

Remember, we all started/have to start with venomous sometime.
The lion does not fear the jackal
Herald_23
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Rodwraylva » Sat Sep 29, 2012 11:28 pm

JD, first thing would be do you think he is capable of handling them, would he be able to keep them without harming himslef or people around him. If he can, the age is still a problem, and you should think what did you keep at 16? I think it is a bit difficult, as you might know he has the capabilities to care for them, but due to his age he might make some mistake and something might happen, and you might feel responsible. I agree with showing him the ropes, even though he did it already, and might know how to handle things a lot worse than night adders, it is something you must think will be for best to leave it with him or not.
Rodwraylva
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Herald_23 » Sat Sep 29, 2012 11:42 pm

Just an opinion but I wouldn't buy snakes from a guy who doesn't know what genus they are classified in, nor their correct genus name.
Herald_23
SA Reptiles Member

Postby snake kid » Sun Sep 30, 2012 9:19 am

I know its not a true adder but where else should I put it?
3.1. BCI
1.0. Burmese python
1.0. Taiwanese ratsnake
2.0. Cornsnake 1 normal 1 Butter
1.2. Brown house snake
1.1. Olive house snake
1.0. Mole snake
1.1. Rhombic egg eater
1.0. Coral snake
1.1. Red lipped herald
0.1. Cape cobra
1.1. Night adder
1.1. Puff adder
1.0. boomslang
snake kid
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Ruan Stander » Sun Sep 30, 2012 9:31 am

I also refer to them as Causus rhombeatus. Herald, has there been a change to this ?
The way to success has no shortcuts.
Ruan Stander
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Herald_23 » Sun Sep 30, 2012 11:08 am

predator678 wrote:I also refer to them as Causus rhombeatus. Herald, has there been a change to this ?

Just the spelling mate, just the spelling.
Herald_23
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Reynard » Sun Sep 30, 2012 11:41 am

does the kid have previous experience? I am not talking about experience asin he has a corn snake. I am talking about has he had a nasty snake? Like a Mole snake or an Anaconda? Does he have the required equipment? Does he have the funds to take proper care of it? Why doesnt the oke start with a little less venomous snake, like a white lip? I would personally advise him to first get a mole snake. If you dont get tagged by one of those then most venomous snakes should be fine according to my, limited, knowledge of snake keeping.
1.2 Red Tail Boas

It's my life. Let me live it.
Reynard
SA Reptiles Member

Postby kfc223 » Sun Sep 30, 2012 11:54 am

The kid must have a mentor, why don't you just ask their mentor.

A white lip is just as venomous if not more than a Night adder!

Plus a white is exotic, so the local hospitals will have no idea how to treat it!

As far as I know there are no recorded deaths for night adders, but there are a couple attributed to white lips and they even make a antivenom for white lips!

So the end result is a white lip is a BIG no no!
kfc223
SA Reptiles Member

Postby jka » Sun Sep 30, 2012 12:13 pm

Reynard wrote:does the kid have previous experience? I am not talking about experience asin he has a corn snake. I am talking about has he had a nasty snake? Like a Mole snake or an Anaconda? Does he have the required equipment? Does he have the funds to take proper care of it? Why doesnt the oke start with a little less venomous snake, like a white lip? I would personally advise him to first get a mole snake. If you dont get tagged by one of those then most venomous snakes should be fine according to my, limited, knowledge of snake keeping.

Why would anyone want to keep a white lip tree viper that's a exotic venomous.

You can't compare the two bites.

And now everyone is wondering about experience, how do you get experience? By working with the animals ofcourse.
He needs someone to help him out about.
Evolution is an imperfect and often violent process. A battle between what exists, and what is yet to be born.

-Owned by scalybunni-
jka
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Herald_23 » Sun Sep 30, 2012 12:16 pm

Reynard wrote:Why doesnt the oke start with a little less venomous snake, like a white lip?

Excuse me, what?
Herald_23
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Westley Price » Sun Sep 30, 2012 1:28 pm

Herald, you're acting like a real smart ass here. Please consider that all keepers don't have the same amount of knowledge.

If you can't make a valuable contribution to the topic, don't post a comment.

I moved this topic to the correct section.

Snakekid, my opinion is that I would sell these snakes to this kid. The reason if that doctors here know Night adders and how to threat the bite. IF he gets a White-lip or a Copperhead and gets bitten, doctors will have a hard time helping out.

If he get's bitten it will be a painful lesson, but most likely not a lethal one. But you're the only guy who has met the buyer, so the final call comes down to you.
"I am dying by inches from not having anybody to talk to about insects." - Charles Darwin
Westley Price
Forum gatekeeper

Postby Reynard » Sun Sep 30, 2012 1:46 pm

Apologies. I made a mistake :)
1.2 Red Tail Boas

It's my life. Let me live it.
Reynard
SA Reptiles Member

Postby rolandslf » Sun Sep 30, 2012 2:07 pm

I agree with Wes on this one.

The guy has done Johans' Course, which in my opinion qualifies him to keep and work with Night Adders.
A White Lip tag is far more dangerous in my opinion than a Night Adder tag.

I also just need to add, try and get consent from his Parents for him to keep the Nighties.

Lastly, it is because of people like Herald, that you no longer find the guys which can add the greatest amount of Value and Expertise to this Forum, around anymore.
It is better to be Pissed Off than Pissed On.
Roland Friskin
rolandslf
SA Reptiles Member

Next

Return to Indigenous highly venomous snakes