Tortoise Egg's

Nile crocodiles, terrapins, tortoises and turtles.

View gallery

Tortoise Egg's

Postby Knersis » Thu Aug 13, 2009 3:52 pm

I would like to know what is the best to do when the eggs hatch, should they be in a cage with a uv light, or what is the best to do for them.
Knersis
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Tortoise Egg's

Postby gaboon69 » Thu Aug 13, 2009 4:52 pm

I think the answer to your question depends largely on what time of year it is. I would keep them indoors with a heat spot for at least a month after all looks ok. If you are permitted then please shout if your looking for good homes for the offspring.
Those who dwell among the beauties and mysteries of the earth are never alone or weary of life ~
Rachel Carson
gaboon69
SA Reptiles Member

Postby gaboon69 » Thu Aug 13, 2009 5:23 pm

Forgot to mention that you should give hatching tortoises ample time to come out of the eggs by themselves as the babies need to absorb their egg yoke over a few days to ensure their survival. Transvaal Snake Park used to mark the offspring with cutex to keep track of each baby's progress.
Those who dwell among the beauties and mysteries of the earth are never alone or weary of life ~
Rachel Carson
gaboon69
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Buck Rogers » Thu Aug 13, 2009 10:04 pm

As Gaboon said, it depends on a number of factors. What species is it??
Life is a beautiful struggle
Buck Rogers
SA Reptiles Member

Postby herpitologica » Thu Aug 13, 2009 11:41 pm

Can we get permits for tortoises?i would love to keep a few in my field behind my farm.Enclosed and safe,noticed a pretty hectic dropoff of tortoises in my area.Wouldn't mind breeding them and then letting them go.
herpitologica
SA Reptiles Member

Postby gaboon69 » Fri Aug 14, 2009 9:34 am

For leopard's you stand a chance yes.
Rachel Carson
gaboon69
SA Reptiles Member

Postby liza » Thu Dec 24, 2009 8:44 am

Hi

i have about 20 eggs since 26/12/08 ande they started hatching yesterday 23/12/09. What am i suppose to do with the little ones that is already out? Must they stay in the box when its closed as I wait for the others to hatch or must I take them out? Will they not sufficate? How long after the fisrts 4 hatched can I expect some of the other family memers?

Regards

Liza
liza
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Thu Dec 24, 2009 9:11 am

Liza they usually all hatch within a day or two of each other. You can put them in a small camped off area outside where they get some sunshine as well as a shady area to crawl under when it gets too hot. Feed them grated veggies and supplement the calcium as the shells will be very soft at this stage. You can take them out of the incubator straight away as they don't need a time to rest and recover after hatching.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby liza » Thu Dec 24, 2009 3:42 pm

Hi Bushviper

Thnx for the advise! There is still only 4 hatchlings and must I just leave it for a few days/ how often may I open the bos of eggs? Will there still be more and if not how long afterwards can I remove the eggs? I was used to be helped by a guy at Onderstepoort, Luke ,but they have moved .

Thnx again hope to hear from u soon.

Liza
liza
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Thu Dec 24, 2009 10:47 pm

Liza you can look once a day. Wait for another few weeks because throwing them out early after having them for 12 months is silly.

Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby liza » Sat Dec 26, 2009 9:40 am

Bushviper

Morning, do you have any pictures of how I am suppose to build an good outdoor housing for them? There are 2 more, out out and one stille breaking out. I have the 1st once in a box with some of the vermicilite coming from the breeding box in it. Do they need to drink water now? The previous batch was in the garden. So this is my first time breeding them out myself, so if Im a bit stupid, that is the reason. I've surfed on the net and there is wuite a good example of how the houding must look like, but it is defenitily overseas! Thanx again for your help.

Regards

Liza
liza
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Sat Dec 26, 2009 7:44 pm

Sorry Liza I dont have pics. Any are which you can build up with wood or bricks which is escape proof will be fine. They need a very shallow water dish made out of concrete which they can walk into and then walk out again. Keep them in a cardboard box with grated food until they can get their proper cage outside. Get rid of the vermiculite in their cage as they might try to eat it and then die. You could even rather keep them on rabbit pellets for a while.

Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby liza » Sat Dec 26, 2009 10:58 pm

[quote="Bushviper"] I thank you for your help. There are 5 little once now and the 6th one is still in the shell but I can see him/her moving. The 5th one seems to be very "bemoerd" doe not want to be handeled. I've marked them with a little spot just to see which one is which. I've moved them into a plastic box simmilar to a cat litter box and just bedees it with grass and fine cut grape leafes which they seemed to like at this stage. I had a wild hibiscus in my garden on which i fed the parents but the gardener removed it for some reason. So i have some shopping to do to find a new one to star growing again.

Regards

Liza
liza
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Sun Dec 27, 2009 9:28 am

Liza it would be better if you can put them in a camped off area of at least 10 square metres. That way they can exercise and be exposed to a wide variety of foods such as dandelions and other natural food plants. Normal grass (kikuyu) is not that good as food and it would be better to get wet lucerne and other plants to boost them.

Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby liza » Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:12 am

Hi Bushviper

Long time since I've heard frrom you.

I have 9 little "doppies" as my grand child called them, there is still 19 eggs in the box which I'm going to keep for as long as I can.

There was a very small one but he/she is fine, eating veggies an drinks water. Im on the look out for the "wondering jew " plant which I cant seemed to find. Where do i get lucerne other than the Coperation?

Please help!!!

Regards

Liza
liza
SA Reptiles Member

Return to Indigenous chelonians and crocodilians