Turtle Nesting Season In Northern Angola!

Nile crocodiles, terrapins, tortoises and turtles.

View gallery

Turtle Nesting Season In Northern Angola!

Postby Warren Klein » Sat Oct 17, 2009 12:10 pm

On the evening of the 14th of October 2009 we had our first Olive ridley sea turtle (Lepidochelys olivacea) of the new season
come ashore at about 22:00pm to nest. We were happy to discover that this was the first time this individual had been recorded to nest on our beach as she did not have any flipper ID tags. She was found while she was in her oviposition and still in a state of torpor, so we were able to tag both her right and left front flippers with ID number tags which will enable us to recognize her again in the future. We allowed her to go though all the phases of nesting before she was captured and her clutch of 119 ping pong ball sized eggs were dug up and relocated to our egg hatchery.

Picture shows the Turtle Patrol Team and Nicole (AKA hissing roach) excavating egg chamber to relocate turtle eggs.

After the Olive ridley's eggs were relocated to our hatchery and safely re-buried, we started work on the mother herself. I still had two Platform Terminal Transmitter (PTT) left over from last nesting season which I was not able to deploy. Last nesting season was the first time PTT's Tracking devices were ever attached to marine turtles in Angola and the information and data we have collected has been invaluable to our turtle conservation project by helping us better understand the movements of this unique Olive ridley population.

Isn't she just gorgeous! Turtles excrete unwanted salt from their eyes!

We normally attach PTT's at night after the turtle has nested, allowing for at least 3 hours of drying time for the expoxy to harded and reach full strength before the turlte is released the following morning.
hissing roach and Harley walking down the beach.
Once a PTT has been attached to a sea turtle, I upload the data on the seaturtle.org site and add her to the adoption program were people can adopt this turtle by making a donation to seaturtle.org which supports other turtle conservation project. Before I can add a new turtle to the adoption program the turtle has to be given a name. This beautiful girl was named Harley by one of our colleges on the project.

Picture shows me doing a final check to confirm the PTT is actually transmitting before we let her go.
The Olive ridley sea turtle is known to often enter major esturies and in this case the mouth of the mighty Congo River on the Angolan side.
Every time the turtle comes to the surface to breath, the PTT antenna will break the suface and send a signal and GPS location. Note the DRC in the far backround.
Nicole (AKA hissing roach) standing in front of an obvious Olive ridley track.
I hope many of you will find this post intresting as not many herp enthusiasts ever have anything to do with marine turtles as do not many turtle biologists have anything to do with other reptiles. We will be adding to this thread periodically as we get more nesting turtles and follow through right up untill hatchling emergence to compleate the story. Enjoy, Regards HH

An inaccurate naturalist is a pest and a danger, forever perpetuating illogical deductions and landing later naturalists in trouble. Damm and blast them all to hell in the most painful way. C.J.P. Ionides
Warren Klein
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Turtle Nesting Season In Northern Angola!

Postby armata » Sat Oct 17, 2009 3:55 pm

Good stuff Warren and Nicole, look forward to the results.
' I get my kicks on Route 62 '
armata
SA Reptiles Honorary Member

Postby Leos r gr8 » Sat Oct 17, 2009 4:16 pm

Very very cool, thanks for sharing and please post some hatchling pics if you get the opportunity when the time comes!
Save a tree - eat a beaver.
Leos r gr8
SA Reptiles Member

Postby gaboon69 » Sat Oct 17, 2009 7:18 pm

I love it. Thanks a mil.
Those who dwell among the beauties and mysteries of the earth are never alone or weary of life ~
Rachel Carson
gaboon69
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Warren Klein » Mon Oct 19, 2009 10:20 am

Thanks for the support, We got another first timer on Saterday night and looking forward to more!
An inaccurate naturalist is a pest and a danger, forever perpetuating illogical deductions and landing later naturalists in trouble. Damm and blast them all to hell in the most painful way. C.J.P. Ionides
Warren Klein
SA Reptiles Member

Postby MrG » Mon Oct 19, 2009 6:38 pm

This is great. I just love reading post like these and I am sure you guys enjoy it as well. I once went with one of the KZN parksboard guys on a survey between Sodwana and 9 mile towards Kozibay and that night they tagged 2 leaderback females whiles they were laying their eggs. Just a awsome sight. Seeing them under water is just as beautiful. Keep up the good work.
MrG

Postby Warren Klein » Tue Oct 20, 2009 9:09 am

Thanks MrG, Glad you enjoy sea turtles too, we will be adding new pictures to the thread soon. Olive ridleys are tinny compared to the huge 1 toner Leatherbacks! I'm still looking forward to swim turtles underwater myself.
Warren Klein
SA Reptiles Member

Postby MrG » Tue Oct 20, 2009 11:05 am

The most turtles I saw was in the Comores whiles diving there. Saw up to 12 on one dive alone. Will be getting myself a Canon G10 with underwater housing soon and take some decent pics of the underwater world.
MrG

Postby Loretta » Tue Oct 20, 2009 11:55 am

Great stuff Herphabitat and Hissing Roach! So nice to see a thread like this. Keep up the good work and best of luck!
I'm not suffering from insanity... I'm enjoying every minute of it!
Loretta
SA Reptiles Member

Postby fredsmith » Tue Oct 20, 2009 12:53 pm

Wow.
Thanks for this thread, looking forward to future updates.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.
- Albert Einstein

Fred Smith
fredsmith
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Karin » Tue Oct 20, 2009 1:17 pm

This is a fantastic thread, and I am really looking forward to you guys adding more info and data. Sea turtles are amazing creatures, and it is wonderful to see the evidence of the conservation taking place!
Karin
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Warren Klein » Tue Dec 15, 2009 2:32 pm

I have been home in SA for a while and did not get a chance to update this thread so I will try catch up the past month’s turtle activity in Northern Angola with this post. We managed to attach two new PTT turtle tracking devices making a total of 10 in our project to date. We currently have 14 Olive ridley nests in our hatchery and 12 nests left in -situ, making an estimated total of over 3000 eggs waiting to hatch!

Tagging turtles is how we identify individual turtles and learn more about their inter nesting period and the population in general. I first started tagging turtles in Angola during the 2006 nesting period. Since then we have tagged and recorded about 100 nesting females in this unique Congo River mouth population. Bellow photo showing the position were Olive ridleys are tagged in the front flipper.

Allow some space for new growth.
I believe this turtle was already tagged by us before in the past years as the site where the tag normally would go had formed an abscess as a result of the forgein body (the metal tag). This is the main reason I would like to rather start using pit tags which are inserted under the skin much the same as you would use for a pet dog or cat ID.
The abscess itself was a ball of hardened puss witch we gently started to remove the centre using a hemostat in order to allow the mass to cave in and relive the pressure. This made it easy to remove the whole shell of the mass leaving a huge crater in the flipper tissue which we were pleased to see had no further infection and new healthy tissue growth.
The open cavity was cleaned with saline and the flipper re-tagged in a new area. If this were not a marine animal living in salt water the infection could have been allot worse.
Open cavity showing healthy tissue growth.
New ID tag
Hard puss ball removed from Olive ridley flipper as a result of infected tag site.
Watch this space, more to follow soon!
Warren Klein
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Warren Klein » Tue Dec 15, 2009 4:09 pm

An update of Harley's movements over the last two months since her PTT was fitted. During this time she has actually returned to lay a second clutch of eggs!
Warren Klein
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Warren Klein » Tue Dec 15, 2009 5:33 pm

This was the last midnight arrival we had come to lay her eggs on Monday night. We found her as she was covering her nest.
Olive ridley turtles have a unique behavior of stamping down their nests using their plastron after filling the egg chamber.
This ridley girl had an unusual carapace as a result of a past injury from many years ago. As well as ID tags these marks can be used to identify her again for years to come.
We always confirm the exact location of the egg chamber even if we observe her lay because they do such a good job of camouflaging the nest we could easily put a cage in the wrong spot. Eggs are normally about 30cm from the surface.
This is how we protect nest which are left in-situ. It also allows us to contain all the hatchling once they emerge until they are counted and released.
Warren Klein
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Warren Klein » Tue Dec 15, 2009 5:37 pm

We have actually already started to have hatchling emerge as of Sunday, but I'll wait and give people a chance to comment before I add anymore to this thread. Enjoy!
Warren Klein
SA Reptiles Member

Next

Return to Indigenous chelonians and crocodilians