How to care for Terrapin

Nile crocodiles, terrapins, tortoises and turtles.

View gallery

How to care for Terrapin

Postby cvanwyk66 » Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:56 am

I've found two terrapins in the road close to my farm in Parys district. Have never seen any in the area over the last couple of years and moved them to my house where I have a little pond. What do I need to care for these ones? How do I determine their sex? Would love to get some info to care for them.
cvanwyk66
SA Reptiles Member

Re: How to care for Terrapin

Postby Ales » Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:31 pm

The terrapins wont stay in your pond for long,the'll climb out and wander out of your garden.
You can put a small fence around the pond so they wont run away.

Every day you can throw some food in the pond,the'll eat fish(dead or alive)you can put some goldfish in the pond and the terrapins can catch them,they will eat pieces of meat(chicken,beef) ,water plants,veggies and you can give them koi pellets or fish flakes.

They need a basking spot,a log in the water or a side of the pond that they can climb out of.

Males have long tails that will reach the front of their back feet when tucked in and females have a short tail that will only reach the back of the back foot .

How big are they?
What a world....
Ales
SA Reptiles Member

Re: How to care for Terrapin

Postby Fooble » Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:53 pm

Bare in mind it will be ILLEGAL to keep without a permit.
Most likely these are Marsh Terrapins.
Organized crime comes in more forms than one.
Fooble
Forum gatekeeper

Re: How to care of Terrapin

Postby cvanwyk66 » Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:02 pm

Thanks for the quick responses!! My intention is to get them back in the wild. I've raised two Spurwinged goose from chicks and released them as soon as they could fly. I've been introducing my own program of getting smaller animals to roame on the farm again. Jackal are back, porqupine, duiker, klipsringer, hedgehog, owls, woodpeckers as well as some roaming sectretary birds. Not many snakes around except for rinkhals, house snake and a puffy now and then. Rinkhals around here get quite big, but not a problem. Lost a mare last year from puffy bite.
cvanwyk66
SA Reptiles Member

Return to Indigenous chelonians and crocodilians