Leopard Tortoise calcium needs

Nile crocodiles, terrapins, tortoises and turtles.

View gallery

Leopard Tortoise calcium needs

Postby Sfourie » Mon Feb 06, 2012 5:35 pm

A friend of mine has a Leopard Tortoise (Predictably named skillie) that has been in their garden for over 12 years. In my Field Guide theorie component I read that tortoises often consume bone or hyena faeces to obtain calcium. This privilege was never granted to this tortoise and I understand that it can lead to scute pyramiding. The obvious thing to do would be to try and help with its calcium intake and give it a bone.

I however like to double check my information. Is there perhaps someone with experience in this? How much should he give and how often?

Regards

Stefan
A Shangaan legend states that any man resting or sleeping in the shade of a baobab will become eccentric and forever be enslaved by Africa and its wilderness, guess it's too late for me.
Sfourie
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Leopard Tortoise calcium needs

Postby J-P » Mon Feb 06, 2012 6:56 pm

leave cuttlefish bone(available at petshops for parrots) in his enclosure,he will help himself,also helps to keep their beeks sharp
J-P
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Leopard Tortoise calcium needs

Postby Sfourie » Tue Feb 07, 2012 5:40 pm

Thanks for the reply. I heard that the shell of snails are also good.
A Shangaan legend states that any man resting or sleeping in the shade of a baobab will become eccentric and forever be enslaved by Africa and its wilderness, guess it's too late for me.
Sfourie
SA Reptiles Member

Return to Indigenous chelonians and crocodilians