L.H.A catching crocs!

Nile crocodiles, terrapins, tortoises and turtles.

View gallery

L.H.A catching crocs!

Postby Daniellouw » Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:24 am

The crazy committee of the Lowveld Herps. organised our club for an outing to help one of the researchers in Nelspruit with his croc research on Friday 09/03/2012. What an amazing experience! Firstly crocs had to be caught (of which oom Gert did most of the work!) . No small feat! A hessian bag was thrown which either had to cover the hissing and snapping croc's eyes or it would grab hold of it. Then the volunteer (ha! who volunteers for these things!) had to jump on the croc, grasping it's mouth and keeping it shut. [The power to weight ratio of these animals is simply astounding: I weigh around 105kg and the crocks I handled (the largest of these weighed in at 50 pounds or+- 23kg) could almost do what they wanted with me on top of them!] Croc in hand, another person would then tape the mouth and eyes shut. Blood was the drawn and the croc left with jaws still semi harmless. When all crocs gave blood, they were rounded up again to be weighed (here even my sons, fearless as always, joined in). Thereafter the tape which rendered them harmless through the whole process had to be taken of again... Not for the faint hearted but all in a days work for the guys who did it. I was amazed at the level of professionalism and safety in which it was done (taking into account that there were about 20 people in an enclosed area!) It was a great treat and I am greatful to the Chris and Louis for the opportunity.
IMG00268-20120309-1715.jpg
IMG00266-20120309-1710.jpg
DSC07295.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Daniellouw
SA Reptiles Member

Re: L.H.A catching crocs!

Postby Bushviper » Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:35 am

This sounds like fun. Always nice to get to do some hands-on with research.

What research are they doing and do they have any results yet?
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby Daniellouw » Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:41 am

The research is done on the Trichinella parasite which lives in the mussle tisue of crocks. It apparently has no effect on the crocks but some crazy people eat crockodile meat and the parasite is harmfull to people.
Daniellouw
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Daniellouw » Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:44 am

The research is ongoing and I think Louis will publish his finding at the end of his studies (this being the subject of his M)
Daniellouw
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Warren Klein » Tue Mar 13, 2012 3:24 pm

Serves people right for eating crocodilians!
An inaccurate naturalist is a pest and a danger, forever perpetuating illogical deductions and landing later naturalists in trouble. Damm and blast them all to hell in the most painful way. C.J.P. Ionides
Warren Klein
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Sfourie » Tue Mar 13, 2012 3:54 pm

I have eaten Crocodile pate and it was quite edible. Apparently croc meat especially from the tail is packed with protein but minus the fat. Heard that croc steaks are great to eat.

Looks like great fun Daniel, it's a shame I missed it.
A Shangaan legend states that any man resting or sleeping in the shade of a baobab will become eccentric and forever be enslaved by Africa and its wilderness, guess it's too late for me.
Sfourie
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Daniellouw » Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:57 am

Yes Mr Fourie, you did miss out!!!
Daniellouw
SA Reptiles Member

Return to Indigenous chelonians and crocodilians