Leopard Breeding

Nile crocodiles, terrapins, tortoises and turtles.

View gallery

Leopard Breeding

Postby Gordvisr » Thu Apr 09, 2015 2:38 pm

Hallo All i need some advice please

I have a male for about six years now, about three years ago i got a female and they started breeding.
When i got the male somewhere on google it was said that they will only breed if the do hibernate but have a small chance of surviving hibernation so i make sure there is enough food for them during winter time
as these animals are very special to me. The male was found while there was a veld fire close to us i saw it walking across the road so i had to take it.
The female was with my aunt and was living indoors, i pursuaded her to give it to me as it is not good for them to live indoors because of the damage it can cause to there shell, hers were already like "cork".( is fine now )
Now last week we found a hatchling in the yard and TODAY she laid eggs again about ten of them.

It is normal soil with grass that was covering it. I do not want to remove the eggs from where she has laid it but want to know what i can do from my side to keep the area safe so that they can hatch. The hatchling i have currently is proof that the temperatures is fine.

Any advice and help will be much appreciated.

P.S ( i do not intent to sell any of these but would like to get some direction on where to go with them after they have hatched so that they can be safe )
Gordvisr
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Leopard Breeding

Postby Gordvisr » Thu Apr 09, 2015 3:00 pm

Sorry it is Leopard Tortoise
Gordvisr
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Ales » Fri Apr 10, 2015 1:23 pm

The best thing you can do is take wire mesh and construct a square box from it, then you put that on the lawn over the nest and when they hatch they will be in the little caged area. You could use one of those wire mouse cages as well. Place a brick on top to keep it in place and the brick will also provide shade for when the babies are in the cage.
What a world....
Ales
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Ales » Fri Apr 10, 2015 1:24 pm

Just do not cover it too much as the nest area needs as much sunlight as possible.
What a world....
Ales
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Gordvisr » Fri Apr 10, 2015 3:32 pm

Thank you for the reply.

I did build a cage around it last night with wires and droppers. i do not want someone to step on the nest either.
I will remove all grass in that area , if this is not a good idea someone please shed some light on this.
According to me if the grass covers it, it could be that the infants will be trapped when the hatch time comes.
Gordvisr
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Ales » Mon Apr 13, 2015 11:19 am

You could remove the grass over the nest but then just make sure to leave the soil at the same level so that rainwater doesn't get stuck there and make a muddy patch.
What a world....
Ales
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Gordvisr » Wed Apr 15, 2015 8:01 pm

Thanx for the reply's
Gordvisr
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Gordvisr » Wed Feb 24, 2016 5:31 am

i am very happy and proud to say that the eggs hatched on two diffrent places , i am still waiting for two other spots to hatch.
i just cordoned off the area's and let it be, one of the spots got attracted by ants and unfortunately started eating on the eggs, i removed them and gave them to my aunt to keep , there we had four hatchlings too.
Gordvisr
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Thu Feb 25, 2016 9:17 am

These eggs survive through the most extreme conditions. Please just do not release the babies unless you know exactly that both parents come from a specific locality and that you can return the babies to that locality. When it rains put the sprinkler on in that area as well as we have found the moisture this year is not seeping down deep enough.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby Gordvisr » Fri Mar 04, 2016 3:45 am

yes i have seen the survival rate of the eggs the only bad thing currently is the drought, more ants because of that and i lost quite a bit of the eggs .
They just find their way to them and start feeding on it, so sad. the last two eggs i waited out to hatch i found eaten by ants. Guess that is just part of nature.
Gordvisr
SA Reptiles Member

Postby vsabrie » Tue May 03, 2016 4:12 pm

Hi
What have you done with the babies??? I would love one if you still have available?
Thanks
Abrie
vsabrie
SA Reptiles Member

Return to Indigenous chelonians and crocodilians