iguana feeding (malbury Leaves)

iguana feeding (malbury Leaves)

Postby joef_conner » Sun Apr 19, 2009 8:17 pm

Are mulbary leaves a healthy staple for a green iguana? I've tried looking it up on the web but all the info is in "Ämerican" and I cant tell if they its suitable?
joef_conner
SA Reptiles member (restricted)

Re: iguana feeding (malbury Leaves)

Postby Warren Klein » Mon Apr 20, 2009 1:32 am

Mulbary leaves can form part of an iguanas staple leafy greens. Leafy greens should make up the bulk of the diet before veg and fruit. I believe in variety when feeding iguanas, so you should include other staple greens in the diet as well as the malbary leaves. Fresh lucern or alphalpa is an excelent staple food, nasturtium leaves and mustard leaf could be considered as well. I have included mulberry leaves in iguana’s diets for years and I believe they are also high in calcium. Hope this helps!
An inaccurate naturalist is a pest and a danger, forever perpetuating illogical deductions and landing later naturalists in trouble. Damm and blast them all to hell in the most painful way. C.J.P. Ionides
Warren Klein
SA Reptiles Member

Postby joef_conner » Mon Apr 20, 2009 7:24 am

I also heard about lucerne being a good staple. It's the same stuff they feed to horses?
joef_conner
SA Reptiles member (restricted)

Postby Bushviper » Mon Apr 20, 2009 9:35 am

Lucerne is also very good to include in their diet but we are talking about "wet" freshly picked leaves not the dried feed you buy at the co-op.

Mulberry leaves can also form a large part of thier diet. The key is to vary the diet as much as possible. In the wild an iguana will often feed on only one type of leaf for the day but not return to that tree for a week or more and rather feed on other leaves until he gets back to this tree.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby Heinz09 » Sun May 03, 2009 10:58 pm

I feed mine Top Pet Delights, for juvenile iguanas, and mine absolutely loves it, every now and then I prepare a bowl of fruits, veggies etc.

This works quite well, my colour on my little green friend is good, in a good condition and active every now and then.
Red Tail Boa 0,0,1
Mexican Red Knee 0,0,1
Trinidad Chevron 0,0,1
Curly Hair 0,0,1
Bearded Dragon 0, 0, 2
Heinz09
SA Reptiles Member

Return to Green iguanas (Iguana iguana)