Iguana Care Info

Iguana Care Info

Postby Marlize » Wed Jul 29, 2009 8:56 am

Hi my name is Marlize. This is the first time I’m using a forum so I’m still learning ha-ha; D. I always wanted an Iguana and at the age of 22 (almost 23) I decided that now is the right time to do so.

To start of with, I don’t have one yet. I'm still learning more about them (after reading so much about them, I definitely still want one) but there are still so much to learn.

I got a quotation on a cage to be made out of wood from a carpenter, but before I ask the guy to continue building it, I would like to ask people that have experience and knowledge about their habitat a few questions.

1) the cage will be 2(m) in length 2(m) in height and 0.7(m) in depth. (I’m planning to get a small iguana to start of with so won’t be able to give his or her size or age at this point. What I want to know is weather the size of the cage would be fit for a first time small iguana and up and till what age will the cage be fit for a healthy in captive iguana. (Plus/minus) I know it’s hard to say because it depends on the exercise and the diet he/she gets)

2) I would just like some ideas what to do on the inside (best stuff to use for instance)

Moved
Marlize
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Iguana Care Info

Postby LordBelgoroth » Tue Aug 04, 2009 3:00 pm

Hi there is plenty of info on the net, on this forum too http://www.sareptiles.co.za/forum/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=9824&p=77823&hilit=Iguana+care+sheet#p77823

I have had 3, one till 15+ one just under 2 and the last one now is only 8months
All three were different, my eldest male (15) was a freeroamer, potty trained (although dogs water dish became a problem) lovely to handle and transport, but during breeding time my sister would have to live trough him irritating and treating to breed her which entailed bites and rather scary leaps.
My female, got her after iggy monster died from a pet shop in bad condition and 9+months of age, she was hellishly skittish and handling was tough and she was weak, yet even with all the care and research she passed away a year+ from prolapse
My baby one, is young still just under 80cm had it since 2 months, eats well potty trained a bit wild still.

Yet all three have been kept on the same pattern, feed greens, good heat LOTS of water and light. Humidity is important. the small cage i have is 2mx1.5mx0.6m which lasts the first year and a half i would say, my sunning cage is 3x3x2 and indoor is a 4x4 room.

I have 2 pools a) and old cat litter box with a heatpad under with rheostat and b) a big plastic tub that i have a mist thingy in. and then my shrek humidifier( from dischem) I have a low platform with food and a water bowl in the cool area (23+c) a mid platform, twice the width of my iggy and 1.5m in length.
My basking spot is a huge shelf almost 2m high 40cm width and 2m length, with my lights aimed there reaching 32-34 c with UVB.

I used to have plastic mesh around the room for climbing and access with branches places to reach each level, its very bland as I moved the igg into the room while i was building a "pretty" indoor cage, since I only have the small one the small cage works quite well to and is better for the winter and my power bill.

Generally once you have the practical workings decor and all is based on your pocket, they come from jungle environment so greens and cover lots of leave and branches.

Goodluck!
Feistrola Chan Ddreigiau
LordBelgoroth
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Iguana Care Info

Postby Marlize » Fri Aug 07, 2009 8:44 pm

Thanks a lot for your reply; I’m not too fond of pet shops. They only do what thy do for the money and not the love of it. Lots of animals suffer because of it due to lack of knowledge, care and so forth, thy don’t even worry about what home thy send the animal or reptile too or the knowledge the future one has about the pet.

I’m looking for a well known and experienced iguana breeder close to or in Pretoria, if anybody knows about one or more please let me know

Thank you
;)
Marlize
SA Reptiles Member

Return to Green iguanas (Iguana iguana)