Size problem with iggy

Size problem with iggy

Postby Dean184 » Tue Jan 19, 2010 9:32 pm

Hi guys,I'v got my two year old iggy,Iv got him in a metre tank,but I do keep him outside the tank although majority of the time he spends is in his tank,his body is 20cm!!! Which I think is small for his age,head to tail he is 60cm,I want to know is the myth 'an animal adapts to the size of the tank and grows accourdingly'for example a friend of mine told me he had fish in a small tank n dey remaind small whilst he had the same type of fish in a way bigger tank and they were much bigger than the one's in the small tank,also my beloved iggy has a small deformity he has 5 toes on his left side and 6 toes on the right could this also play a role in hw small he is?
Dean184
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Size problem with iggy

Postby neko » Fri Jan 22, 2010 7:25 am

Mmm. That's very small for a 2 year old.

How long have you had him, and what is his diet like?
How often do you feed him, and what are the portion sizes? How well does he eat when you feed him?
What are the exact dimensions of the tank? That sounds a bit small.
Do you supplement with lights and calcium?
What do you use for heat in the cage, and how do you regulate it?
Is his spine, tail and toes straight? Are there any sticking out ribs?

The size thing is a myth for reps. That only works for fish. Reptiles do not stop growing because their cages are smaller than they need. Feeding can stunt their growth though, and normally they do not grow to their full size if they were stunted in the "formative" years.
It's peanutbutter jelly time! GET SOME!!
neko
SA Reptiles Honorary Member

Return to Green iguanas (Iguana iguana)