yee haaa!

Aligators, caimen, crocodiles, terrapins, tortoises and turtles exotic to South Africa.

Re: yee haaa!

Postby Bernice » Mon Jan 11, 2010 4:53 pm

Iggy! uber cool!

I think I must organize a road trip and come visit the babies when they arrive :) please PLEASE keep us posted on the gator babies!!
Happiness is a fat mouse and a warm rock!

Dont fly! 4X4! The noble eagle may soar! but a weasel wont get sucked into a jet intake valve...

Some people are like a slinky spring, they make you smile when you push them down a flight of stairs!
Bernice
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Iggy » Mon Jan 11, 2010 8:49 pm

Thanks Bernice, will definitely keep everyone posted - especially if all goes well. I know, though, that 2 months is a VERY long time when it comes to reptile eggs, so many things can go wrong, AARRGH!!!

@Herphabitat, doesn't sound that strange, I've been trying to chirp at him for the last couple of weeks, along with most of our other staff as well :-P Thank goodness no-one can hear us!!! Think I will try candling it tomorrow, very heavy though, and starting to "wobble" so I'm sure all is well with THAT little egg...hope to post photos of that one soon!
Perry's Bridge Reptile Park
Hazyview, Mpumalanga
"Through Inspiration Comes Conservation"
http://www.snakes-uncovered.com
FIND US ON FACEBOOK!
Iggy
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Warren Klein » Tue Jan 12, 2010 8:53 am

Iggy, how many days of incubation has it been so far? If the egg is starting to "wobble" that is defiantly a good sign and I'm sure the little croc will start to cheep or chirp back soon.
An inaccurate naturalist is a pest and a danger, forever perpetuating illogical deductions and landing later naturalists in trouble. Damm and blast them all to hell in the most painful way. C.J.P. Ionides
Warren Klein
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Iggy » Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:53 pm

Think the official due date is about a week away
Hazyview, Mpumalanga
FIND US ON FACEBOOK!
Iggy
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Rob » Tue Jan 12, 2010 4:59 pm

Haha sorry HH I understand that cheeping to the egg would make sense and I would also do so if it were me, but I had to laugh when I pictured doing it.

Congrats Iggy, I hope you guys are successful with all your Crocodilian eggs, you've worked hard enough for it.
Rob Deans

Be more concerned with your character than your reputation. Your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are. ~Dale Carnegie
Rob
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Warren Klein » Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:09 pm

Rob- You have not lived until you've cheeped to a crocodile still in the egg! Lol, It does work depending on how well you can cheep like a crocodile?
An inaccurate naturalist is a pest and a danger, forever perpetuating illogical deductions and landing later naturalists in trouble. Damm and blast them all to hell in the most painful way. C.J.P. Ionides
Warren Klein
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Rob » Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:55 pm

Haha until I've tried it Ill take your word for it.
Rob Deans

Be more concerned with your character than your reputation. Your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are. ~Dale Carnegie
Rob
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Pythonodipsas » Tue Jan 12, 2010 7:52 pm

Huge congrats on the alligator eggs!
`
If you wanna find out what's behind these cold eyes, you'll just have to claw your way through this disguise.
Roger Waters & David Gilmour - 1979
Pythonodipsas
SAReptiles Techie

Postby Warren Klein » Tue Jan 19, 2010 11:20 am

@ Iggy- The little croc should of hatched out by now, has it?
Warren Klein
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Iggy » Tue Jan 19, 2010 12:18 pm

no not yet - getting a bit worried, the egg is sooo heavy but there is no response to the sound recording of a baby hatching call I've been playing - don't know if we should wait a bit longer or try to open the egg...he is about 2 days overdue now.
Meanwhile the 'gator eggs are still looking good...
Hazyview, Mpumalanga
FIND US ON FACEBOOK!
Iggy
SA Reptiles Member

Postby BOOGY » Tue Jan 19, 2010 12:53 pm

Keeping our fingers crossed!! How is the mamba doing?
Reptile Roulette - JUST SAY NO!
Burger Loots
BOOGY
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Warren Klein » Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:34 pm

Is the egg still wobbling? It's obviously your call but I would think about cracking the egg soon if nothing is happening. Good to hear the alligator eggs are still looking good!
Warren Klein
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Archie Bottoms » Thu Jan 21, 2010 10:45 am

There a few chinese gators here in the states.The houston zoo has bred dozens upon dozens of babies and they supply other zoos.They may be almost gone in the wild but there are 10s of thousands around the world.They are the easyest to breed in captivity.Here too large imports are offered but the us will not allow it.These are the perfect croc pet they breed at 3 and a half foot for females four foot for males and are tame by there nature
Archie Bottoms
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Warren Klein » Fri Jan 22, 2010 12:45 pm

Here too large imports are offered but the us will not allow it.

Hi Archie, please explain?
Warren Klein
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Archie Bottoms » Sun Jan 24, 2010 4:08 am

nOPT MUCH TO EXPLAIN THERE ARE PEOPLE WHO HAVE BRED LARGE NUMBERS OS OF THESE AND WISH TO EPORT TO OTHER COUNTRIES TO THE PET TRADE.Over 10 years ago Tom cruthfields reptile enterprises put out a letter in with there mailed list called preservation through captive breeding.He was wanting to import these for the pet trade and you could of got them from him for under a few hundred buck.There are farms that have surplus offspring that they want to sell in bulk cheap.But the us would not grant import for the pet industry for that species.Even tho the country of origin would.These can be had in tialand cheaply
Archie Bottoms
SA Reptiles Member

PreviousNext

Return to Exotic chelonians and crocodilians