Fat boy

Aligators, caimen, crocodiles, terrapins, tortoises and turtles exotic to South Africa.

Fat boy

Postby Archie Bottoms » Sat May 08, 2010 3:30 am

Here is hungry Man he has out grown his tank and is getting a new pond.He loves to eat.

Archie Bottoms
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Fat boy

Postby Warren Klein » Sat May 08, 2010 8:32 am

He looks great! Is he a Paleosuchus palpebrosus?
An inaccurate naturalist is a pest and a danger, forever perpetuating illogical deductions and landing later naturalists in trouble. Damm and blast them all to hell in the most painful way. C.J.P. Ionides
Warren Klein
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Sat May 08, 2010 1:47 pm

He looks like he has an attitude problem too.

What are you going to do in winter? Surely the water will get too cold where you are?
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby Archie Bottoms » Sat May 08, 2010 7:47 pm

The winter gets very bad here.I bred caimens here tho in 99.I have kept crocs for most of my life in winter he will have an indoor pool.South of here you can heat your pond but here it gets very cold and I have never trusted it.He is a smooth front caimen not a palp.I can only have him outside from may 25th to september 15th.The nights are to cold after that.I usually go june to aug tho.If a person wants to own a animal like this these are good questions to ask.I had one female caimen for 28 years.She was my first exotic reptile and I got her on my 8th birthday.She cost my parents 2 dollars and 50 cents.She is still alive and liveing in south Texas at the ripe young age of 38.She was 100 cm long when she laid eggs and 27 years old.I wish I could have alligators as they can handle the winter no problem but the permit costs 350 a year.I built this cage for my friends crocImagesorry bad picture.The spiny tailed lizard is a reflection from another cage
Archie Bottoms
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Archie Bottoms » Sat May 08, 2010 7:58 pm

Another picture

Archie Bottoms
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Mon May 10, 2010 10:28 am

I have been promised two alligators this year. How cold is too cold for them. The winters do not go below freezing. What are the minimum temperatures for the air and water of their enclosures?

Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby Warren Klein » Mon May 10, 2010 2:34 pm

Are you also heating the water in his pond (if so how) or are you only providing head via over head spot lights?
An inaccurate naturalist is a pest and a danger, forever perpetuating illogical deductions and landing later naturalists in trouble. Damm and blast them all to hell in the most painful way. C.J.P. Ionides
Warren Klein
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Archie Bottoms » Mon May 10, 2010 10:49 pm

tHE WATER IS HEATED TO 80 ON BOTH OF THEM.Bush viper THE ALLIGATORS WATER SHOULD NOT GO BELOW 70 UNLESS YOU LET THEM BRUMATE OUTDOORS.My guess is that if you keep them out doors you will never have a problem.Indoors they need a spot station with a few lights to avoid burns,The more lights keep them from sitting under one to long in the same place.spot area to about 100 105 in degrees and around 30 32 c.air temp around 24 to 30 I think that is close in degrees 78 to 90 82 is ideal with a spot for higher temps
Archie Bottoms
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Warren Klein » Tue May 11, 2010 7:47 am

Archie if you don't mind me asking, what system are you using to heat the water?
Warren Klein
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Tue May 11, 2010 10:42 am

Thanks for that. I will keep them indoors for the first year or two. I have been promised an albino and a het albino but I only believe those things when I see them. Often I am surprised and other times I am disappointed.

Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby Warren Klein » Tue May 11, 2010 10:49 am

I hope for your sake you'll be surprised this time BV, don't belive I've ever seen an albino alligator in South Africa yet.
Warren Klein
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Tue May 11, 2010 11:34 am

Herphabitat wrote:I hope for your sake you'll be surprised this time BV, don't believe I've ever seen an albino alligator in South Africa yet.

Nope these are being imported from Canada. The US does not allow the export of alligators (even to a zoo is a struggle) because they are trying to protect the skin trade. Our croc skins are way superior in any case so it seems a bit silly.

Bushviper
Founder Member

Return to Exotic chelonians and crocodilians