When to bring Veiled in

When to bring Veiled in

Postby sylar » Thu Mar 19, 2009 11:25 pm

Hi Everyone,

I have moved my Veiled outside. He is in a flexarium with two Ficus Benjamini trees in it. I am misting him three to four times a day, and feeding him every 2 days. I need to know when do I need to move him inside? WIll it get too cold for him out there? is it dangerous leaving him out all the time? How do I know when to bring him in?

Thanks
Shaun
sylar
SA Reptiles Member

Re: When to bring Veiled in

Postby Fooble » Fri Mar 20, 2009 8:09 am

Well i also keep all my chameleons outside, i bring them in when it rains(of course) when there are strong winds as i hang my flexariums in the tree's.
Also when the tempreture gets slighty cool (Difficult to say whats cold or not) but i just put them under cover when i feel its too cold.
Organized crime comes in more forms than one.
Fooble
Forum gatekeeper

Postby boaboy » Fri Mar 20, 2009 9:08 am

Hi there,

You can leave your cham out side 24/7 in summer even in the rain, but I tend to bring mine in when it rains really heavily, as for temps wise as soon as it drops to around 10-15 degrees bring him in,

How old is you cham? You don't need to mist him/her that often, I mist mine once a day in the morning, but I also put ice cubes ontop of the cage every now and then and as it melts it drips and he drinks from that. You must remember that they come from Yemen and it doesn't rain much there from what i understand!

Maybe Chameleons will be able to give a little bit more info as he is the cham expert around here!!!
1.1 Dwarf Reticulated Python
1.1 Green Tree Python
1.1 Jaguar Carpet Pythons
1.1 Bredli Carpet Pythons
0.1 Jungle Jaguar Carpet Python
0.0.1 Bosc Monitor
0.2 Mexican Red Knee (For Sale)

For something to happen, something must be done!!
boaboy
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Chameleons » Sat Mar 21, 2009 11:36 am

Like most of those that have answered I keep my Veiled outside as much as possible. I think that all of the comments made so far are very valid.

Some of ours are in flexariums, and a group live in an aviary. Rain is not an issue unless it is accompanied by a cold wind; even then unless it is very cold they get left outside. Panthers and carpets are different and come in when the wind is cold. Last night was the first night for many months that I brought in most of the veiled - we had a horrendous storm, the cages were covered in hail and the temperatures dropped to 13c by 6pm. One big male was left in a massive flexarium were he tends to spend the nights low among plants.

Temperatures can be a bit deceiving - in the Middle East (and some of the members who live there could give us some personal views?) it can get cold. My time has been spent in Kuwait not the Yemen but there it got very cold at night in winter (freezing on occasions) and low during the day - 15c maximum in February. This would make it seem a bit like game farms around Brits temperature wise; We get a lot of dilepis on our farm at Brits but the temperatures have gone down to minus 8c - it killed kudu but in the next spring the flap necks were out. Does that mean we can keep flapnecks in captivity (hypothetically, obviously - horrid things in cages) at minus 8c? No!! In the wild they have a range of places they can escape to in order to avoid the cold (and worst of the heavy summer rains) - in a cage they cannot.

As for rain - when we were in Dubai a few years ago we went to a place that was wet. While the rest of the country was a dry sandpit, one area that sits at the base of some hills get good rainfall - the air drews up the moisture from the sea, blows inland and straight up high mountains where it drops it. I imagine that the Yemen has similar places.

Most chameleons will take lower temperatures than you would expect (look at the DSTV weather forecasts for Madagascar) but if they get colder at night then they must get warm during the day - prolonged low or even average temperatures can be fatal.

In my opinion (and it is purely an opinion) I think that Veiled should experience a winter as well as a summer, so keeping one at a constant 32c daytime year around is unhealthy. Ours go outdoors in the winter during the day at every opportunity and rarely get ambient above 18c, normally less but at night they come into an unheated room with the windows wide open, where it gets to about 15c. Note that all chameleons should have a drop at night of around 5c if possible.

The suns rays will allow them to bask and raise their temperature. They then breed in a seasonal cycle which is a niusance when trying to keep a constant supply of young available but it contributes to a healthier animal.

We keep all of our young Veiled at around 25c during the day and 22c at night. Only after about 4 months do our chameleons face the variables of out doors.

Back to your original questions:
* Subject to age - feeding every two days is fine; misting several times a day is good. Ours get a hose turned on them once a day!
* There is a range of views on dripping ice water as a method of watering chameleons - some say the water is unnaturally cold; others say it is ok. I suspect it depends on how soon they drink it after it melts!
* Move him in when it gets too cold - see above; it ends up being a personal thing and I have ended up leaving them outside on nights when the forecast lied and the temperatures have plummeted. Use your judgement and stay above what you think is too low; err on the side of caution.

(And thanks to Boaboy for him comment but I would not claim to be an expert - I have just killed more over a longer period than most! First one - 37 years ago.......)
See photos of Malaysian insects on my Facebook page: Exotic Insects
Breeding Insects as feeder food by David Haggett now available from Amazon
Exotic Chameleons in South Africa, care and breeding by David Haggett also available from Amazon
Chameleons
SA Reptiles Member

Postby sylar » Sat Mar 21, 2009 8:06 pm

Thanks everyone for the reply. It is great having you guys to help me out with all the problems I have.
One last thing.. how do I move him inside without traumatising him?
He is in a flexarium with 2 ficus trees. I can't simply move the srtucture inside. I have to take him out.
What are the best ways to do this?

thanks
Sylar
sylar
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Chameleons » Sat Mar 21, 2009 8:37 pm

How big is the flexarium? I carry a couple of dozen in and out each night (panther and carpet) and they vary between 22, 38 and 65 gallons, each with one or two ficus plants. The biggest flexarium I carried in on a regular basis was a 260 gallon with three plants and 2 panthers! (But that was cumbersome and barely fit through the door) So, if the pots are not too big- why take out the chameleon?
Exotic Chameleons in South Africa, care and breeding by David Haggett also available from Amazon
Chameleons
SA Reptiles Member

Postby sylar » Sat Mar 21, 2009 9:39 pm

hmmm... I have a 65 one. So do I ust pick up the whole flexarium? The bottom of the flexarium is not solid... I'll try..
sylar
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Chameleons » Sat Mar 21, 2009 11:20 pm

You should be ok- I have been carrying in 65 gallon flexariums, with 2 pots, for nearly 2 years. Watch the bottoms of the cage as they can weaken due to constant wetness and/ or cricket attacks but I have never had a problem. Be cautious the first few times and I'm sure you'll be fine. Its the ease with which they can be lugged in and out which is why we use so many.
Chameleons
SA Reptiles Member

Postby sylar » Sat Apr 11, 2009 10:01 pm

OK.. My veiled is outside..

Like I said.. in a 100 Flexarium..
With 2 ficus trees
He seems averagely happy, but often he goes a horrible brown colour.

Where should i have the cage? Currently it is on a ledge which sees sum some part of the day(At some times direct sunlight), and obviously shade when it is done.
Should I move him more into the 'bushes'"? I have a raised part of my garden, with quite a lot of growth around it. Should I put him there? He won't be in as much direct sunlight as he is now, will be more in the shade.

Also, I am not sure if he is happy or not. I can;t work out if he is eating enough or not.

Any ideas?

thanks
Sylar
sylar
SA Reptiles Member

Return to Veiled chameleons (Chamaeleo calyptratus)