Odd Chameleon Behaviour!

Odd Chameleon Behaviour!

Postby QtCreaCha » Wed Jul 29, 2009 8:54 am

For the last while my female Veiled has shown really odd behaviour, in fact since Cruz died, she at times seems to have come out of her"shell" and been far more sociable with me. For the first time, she drinks water from my spray, I turn it to slow drops and she comfortably sits and drinks, she scratches to get out when I walk in the room and immediately climbs onto my hand and sits on my shoulder or in my hair and is comfortable staying there while I do my chores. She has had a GR8 appetite and seems very happy in her larger enclosure, however over the last while she seems, restless and moody and is constantly trying to get out her cage, when I open for her, she literally hisses and can't wait to 'chow" me! I have been feeling helpless and frustrated.

Now I have noticed her "ballooning" up too and have shrugged it off as the way she is sitting or me maybe over feeding her a bit and the winter month of storing more fat(like we do). But no way, If I never knew better I would say my girl is gravid again???? Now thanx to the master of chameleons, I remember he told me when I first got Christina, they can retain sperm. All the signs are there, she looks like a little hot air ballon and has gone off her food the last few days, she drank so much water last night and sleeps earlier in the evenings, can I be imagining this?

She laid 61 eggs on the 26 May 2009, surely this is just way too soon??? I am worried about possible other problems but don't want to go to a vet just yet, so as to not stress here out if she should be gravid. I put a container with new egg laying substrate in yesterday morning just in case and am leaving her alone, not taking here out. What other advice would anyone have with regards to this and any experience with being gravid so soon after laying such a big batch AND obviously never being with a male again. Also what other signs should I look for incase of a "medical" problem?

This is the week I got her Jan/Feb 2009

"Gimme more of those fat, juicy ones, MA........"

Look at this tummy, taken about a week ago??

Even with that tummy, she made centre fold for Zoo weekly.....Aced her pole dancing classes!!
QtCreaCha
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Odd Chameleon Behaviour!

Postby QtCreaCha » Tue Aug 04, 2009 8:17 pm

Well Christina has her appetite back, better than ever, she is drinking loads of water. She has been quite content over this past week but still quite large. Some pics I took over this past weekend.

For the first time in a couple of days, she came right out onto me, when I opened to feed her...
QtCreaCha
SA Reptiles Member

Postby rolandslf » Wed Aug 05, 2009 9:00 am

My knowledge when it comes to Chameleons would be considered either non existent or dangerous, but she surely does look gravid to me.
It is better to be Pissed Off than Pissed On.
Roland Friskin
rolandslf
SA Reptiles Member

Postby QtCreaCha » Wed Aug 05, 2009 10:27 pm

I hope your opinion with your non existent to dangerous knowledge is right! I must trust and believe that she is, @ times again she seems normal, so just hold thumbs pls cos I'm terrified of losing any more eggs from her first batch with no backup!
QtCreaCha
SA Reptiles Member

Postby QtCreaCha » Fri Aug 14, 2009 11:31 pm

So, Christina, stopped eating again the past 2 days and not what, her silkworms....So that is a clear sign something is up! This morning I could not find her anywhere and eventually did right at the bottom between pot plant and egg laying box, digging in the soil at the bottom of her cage?? I left her but can't understand why she has not once gone onto her egg laying substrate. So when I got home now, I rushed to see if I still had a "hot air ballon" cham or paper thin one!! Still a knobbly hot air!

Am becoming so anxious but still excited but most of all, just love having a conversation with myself!
QtCreaCha
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Cerberus » Mon Aug 17, 2009 3:46 pm

I am surprised no one has posted here qt, wish I could help but I don't know enough about chams to say with any confidence that she is or she not
I Stop to smell the the roses and often forget to start again

Got so many voices in my head.... wish they would get jobs

Education is key to setting you free, For everyone else it's a rock salt stuffed 12 gauge
Cerberus
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Wolf777 » Mon Aug 17, 2009 4:01 pm

By the look of that tummy I think she is, but Im not clued up on chameleons enough to know.
Wolf777
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Chamssss » Mon Aug 17, 2009 4:02 pm

So sorry I missed this thread, but judging from your first pictures I would say she looked like she was in the early gravid stages, that brown colour is what 1 of my female displays as "gravid colours".
She has never turned black completely or anything.
In fact I have 2 gravid females right now and I guess some are just different to others.
My 1 female is a dark green-black colour when calmed down, on sight of male she hisses runs away, she stays her normal colours but gets intense black spots (thats my indication of her being gravid), she has not yet displayed complete black.

The other female like I said looks the same as your female when gravid (brown, with orange and black spots).

Try pulpating the area above her back legs, push your thumb in and your index finger very softly and slowly, if she is gravid you might feel 1 egg, I only feel one egg in my females when they are in the early stages of egg production, when it gets nearer to laying time they will be packed with eggs that you can see maybe 3 one either side of her, above her legs.

How is she doing now?

Keep me updated, and let me know if you have any other questions.

-Tyrone
Chamssss
SA Reptiles Member

Postby LindaD » Mon Aug 17, 2009 4:10 pm

In some of the photos i would say she is definately gravid in others it is hard to tell. I never battled with Angie. I have added some photos of Angie when she was gravid. Quality is not good I took it with my cell phone the last image is what she looked like after laying.

-Fixed- Wes
The chameleon changes color to match the earth, the earth doesn't change color to match the chameleon
LindaD
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Chamssss » Mon Aug 17, 2009 4:27 pm

Here are some pictures of my female in early gravid stages that looks like yours

I do not have an updated picture of her gravid now, but you get the basic idea of her gravid colours.
Chamssss
SA Reptiles Member

Postby QtCreaCha » Tue Aug 18, 2009 12:24 am

Wow, I should have expressed my joys of having a conversation on my own ages ago..... Linda, your girl must have given you EGGS! Those bulges are huge! Cute. Chamsss she has been on the floor the whole weekend. She goes down, then digs, comes back up and so it has been going on the whole time. She has not once gone onto her sand/soil mix I have put out for her. She is all over the floor, all the corners and she started shedding today too.. HA! I feel so sorry for her, she looks awful and that stomach is so big now, she actually looks completely uncomfortable and everything hangs. I was certain she would lay this weekend or today but nothing yet.

Thanx for awesome photies, she shows so many different colours and colour combinations at the moment. She is moody as hell but then again between her hormones, weight gain and dry skin, it's enough for any woman to wanna jump off that branch!!

Will keep you updated!
QtCreaCha
SA Reptiles Member

Postby LindaD » Tue Aug 18, 2009 8:10 am

Yip 52 eggs she gave us. Shame poor girl was exhausted.

How have you put the sand into her enclosure and what sand is it? Some females can be very fussy with where they lay. My female proved to be pretty picky too. She refused to lay in a container with sand in. I had to put sand in her enclosure around her ficus about 20cm deep.
The chameleon changes color to match the earth, the earth doesn't change color to match the chameleon
LindaD
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Chamssss » Tue Aug 18, 2009 3:05 pm

QtCreaCha wrote:Wow, I should have expressed my joys of having a conversation on my own ages ago..... Linda, your girl must have given you EGGS! Those bulges are huge! Cute. Chamsss she has been on the floor the whole weekend. She goes down, then digs, comes back up and so it has been going on the whole time. She has not once gone onto her sand/soil mix I have put out for her. She is all over the floor, all the corners and she started shedding today too.. HA! I feel so sorry for her, she looks awful and that stomach is so big now, she actually looks completely uncomfortable and everything hangs. I was certain she would lay this weekend or today but nothing yet.

Thanx for awesome photies, she shows so many different colours and colour combinations at the moment. She is moody as hell but then again between her hormones, weight gain and dry skin, it's enough for any woman to wanna jump off that branch!!

Will keep you updated!

OK that is the exact thing my female did.

Just a question she cant see you right?
You must not let her see you during this process or she will abandon her hole everytime.

My female would also walk on the floor around the laying bin so what I did was take out the laying bin and all the stuff that was on the floor of the cage, (so you will have to take the fountain out aswell).
When there was nothing on the floor I put the laying bin back in, and took alot of towels and put them in the cage around the floor, I filled up the bottom of the cage right up to the height of the laying bucket, she then inspected the laying bin and started digging (for her first time lay she only ever dug 1 hole) Oh and I built a starter hole for her about 10 centimeters deep, she then completed that hole all the way to the bottom.

You guys can make your females lay less eggs.
I got my female to only lay 32 eggs.
What you must do is when she is gravid keep her in the sun ALOT, feed her about 5 cickets a day, and keep the temps just a bit higher than usual, and dust with calcium with ou d3 with every feeding, and give them ALOT of water.
Thats all I did and she only laid 32 eggs.
And I prevented both females from laying any infertile clutches, my first female that laid her first clutch was already 2 years old :cool:
So I only get them to cycle eggs when I want them to.

Good luck with her

-Tyrone
Chamssss
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Chameleons » Tue Aug 18, 2009 4:49 pm

I am surprised that your female has yet to lay her eggs but they can make your life a misery by hanging around.

The advice on changing the set up is valid, the soil mixture as well as the cage set up. All soil may work or a 50/50 mix of soil (peat based and insecticide free) and playground sand. She may not necessarily abandon the egg laying if she is seen but may well do so if she is disturbed. The soil needs to be at least 15cm but preferably 25cm deep. Digging a starter hole is a good idea and often works.

In the summer putting her outside may be a good idea but at this time of year you will be bringing in and out a lot - today had a nasty wind so I didn't put any chams out. The problem being that if she has started to dig and you try to bring the container in due to the cold that will upset her. Watch the food you put in, so that it does not disturb her - put it in a pot/container.

You can't always prevent infertile clutches but delaying the mating (that is if you even want mate her - it is not obligatory) can be a good idea.

Sometimes raising the soil temperature can help. I put a heating mat under the container set to about 24c but with the probe of a digital thermometer in the soil at the bottom - you do not want to cook either the female or her eggs!

Please, let me know how she gets on.
David
See photos of Malaysian insects on my Facebook page: Exotic Insects
Breeding Insects as feeder food by David Haggett now available from Amazon
Exotic Chameleons in South Africa, care and breeding by David Haggett also available from Amazon
Chameleons
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Chamssss » Tue Aug 18, 2009 5:44 pm

Why raise the soil temperature David?
The eggs will be fine for a day or 2 if left in the laying container by accident.
Chamssss
SA Reptiles Member

Next

Return to Veiled chameleons (Chamaeleo calyptratus)