Vegetation

Vegetation

Postby dannylomb » Thu Oct 28, 2010 11:32 pm

Hello all,

What is good healthy and safe live vegetation to keep in a veiled chameleon enclosure?

This will be for adult chameleons in the near future I want to cover all the aspects to make sure all is in place. After reading some international forums as well as Sareptiles I noticed that there are some problems with ficus.

The basic idea is to have a large tree branch (treated and cleansed for the job of course) some jungle vine silk plant's mainly made by exo terra interlaced with the vine and a single live tree/plant in the enclosure that is a little lower down in the enclosure, something like a umbrella ficus.

If some of the keeper's could share some visual material of their setup's that would help a whole lot.
dannylomb
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Vegetation

Postby Chameleon Company » Fri Oct 29, 2010 7:48 pm

Good day fellow herper

I breed chameleons and has had great success with ficus sp. The only problems is i have had tongue infections in veileds only, although this does not mean it is the ficus but could be other hygene problems.

Please leave your email address on a pm and ill forward you more info
2:2 Pseudaspis cana
1:2 Dasypeltis scabra

And yes they are all on permit.
Chameleon Company
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Chameleon Company » Fri Oct 29, 2010 7:59 pm

Natural vegetations holds moisture which plastic plants do not, always remember this.
2:2 Pseudaspis cana
1:2 Dasypeltis scabra

And yes they are all on permit.
Chameleon Company
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Chamssss » Fri Oct 29, 2010 10:12 pm

The best and most common plants used for chameleon are the Ficus, Schefflera and pothos.

Are you sure that what you had problems with was actualy a tongue infection Paul?
Its funny to me that it keeps coming back, IMO it might be a Upper respiratory infection.
Could be from too much humidity or the temps are just not right for them.
If they open their mouths funny and you see a lot of mucas/foam then it could be a respiratory infection, youl know for sure if its a URI if you hear the chameleon making weird noises when it breathes, or any funny but slight popping noises.
Chamssss
SA Reptiles Member

Return to Veiled chameleons (Chamaeleo calyptratus)