Veiled shedding

Veiled shedding

Postby boaboy » Fri Apr 27, 2007 3:45 pm

hi guys

I recently got a pair of veiled chameleons and the female shed but at the back behind the little bump type thing (not to sure what it's called) there is still a little bit of the shedding. Other than that she shed beautiful!

My question is how do I get it off without harming her?

thanx

jme
boaboy
SA Reptiles Member

Postby EDDY » Sat Apr 28, 2007 11:00 am

You can spray the cage more often then usual aswell as nspray her directly.

Or i just usually pull it off the parts where they cant get it off or cant eat it
"if this car drive into group of gypsy, would there be any damage to the car?" BORAT
EDDY
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Desai » Mon Apr 30, 2007 10:45 am

I would not spray the chameleon directly. Was reading a caresheet and they said directly spraying your veiled may cause premature death
Desai
SA Reptiles Member

Postby EDDY » Mon Apr 30, 2007 11:19 am

I would not spray the chameleon directly. Was reading a caresheet and they said directly spraying your veiled may cause premature death

How come? What were their reason?

And in nature when it rains?

Im not a chameleon expert but i doesnt make sense??
"if this car drive into group of gypsy, would there be any damage to the car?" BORAT
EDDY
SA Reptiles Member

Postby boaboy » Mon Apr 30, 2007 2:03 pm

Thanx guys, I ended up pulling it off after a spray (not direct).

I think what they mean be spraying them directly, is from close range as the pressure is high, but from a distance with a fine mist or small droplets should be ok.
1.1 Dwarf Reticulated Python
1.1 Green Tree Python
1.1 Jaguar Carpet Pythons
1.1 Bredli Carpet Pythons
0.1 Jungle Jaguar Carpet Python
0.0.1 Bosc Monitor
0.2 Mexican Red Knee (For Sale)

For something to happen, something must be done!!
boaboy
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Mon Apr 30, 2007 5:26 pm

Veiled chameleons come from Yemen. Yemen is almost like the Karoo so they dont see rain that often. They do have dew every morning and when it rains the drops are big.

The spray from a spay bottle makes them assume they are being attacked, which causes stress. Rather spray above them with the nozzle open wide so that it falls on them like gentle rain.

This applies to many tropical species like eyelash vipers and arboreal pit vipers too. They just obviously have rain more often than the chameleons.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby EDDY » Mon Apr 30, 2007 5:33 pm

my fault then.

Sorry. It makes sense now.

Thanks for correcting me
EDDY
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Mon Apr 30, 2007 5:39 pm

Eddy you asked a question that is all.

No mistake was made so there is nothing that needed correcting.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby Desai » Tue May 01, 2007 10:09 am

Sorry Eddy, never see your question (never checked my mail) but I see bushviper answered.
Desai
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Veiled shedding

Postby QtCreaCha » Sat Jul 25, 2009 11:30 am

My veiled never shed her tail during this past shed. It is way too fine and delicate to try pull off and is still tight on her skin, if you looked at her one would not say she never shed her tail but I know she hasn't. Should I just leave this or maybe soak her tail in luke warm water and gently brush it off, maybe get some shedding aid, what would you recommend?
QtCreaCha
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Veiled shedding

Postby Chamssss » Mon Aug 17, 2009 4:21 pm

I dont agree with some said here.

Im sure if you have kept chameleons you would see sometimes that the chameleons eye will bubble out and then they rub it.
So I will spray my chameleons with soft mist and with warm water, remember when you mist them, by the time the water reaches the cham it has cooled down so if you want them to have warm water, test it on your hand instead of just putting luke warm water in a bottle because that will end up cold anyway.
Anyway back to what I was saying, I spray them directly so that anything on their body can be cleaned off, and so that they can clean their eyes out, also because I have directly lightly sprayed my chameleons, they have learnt to walk up to the nosle and drink strait from it instead of getting whatever they can off of the leaves.

Just keep the humidity up to make sheds easy for them.
If you are having problems with humidity keep more live plants in their cage such as ficus and schefflera, dont ever use glass cages just for humidity (be logical if you know chameleons, they are a death trap).
And another tip for anyone, use paper towels instead of a substrate to prevent impaction.

Good luck

-Tyrone
Chamssss
SA Reptiles Member

Return to Veiled chameleons (Chamaeleo calyptratus)