eggbound??

eggbound??

Postby Iggy » Tue Sep 11, 2007 6:40 pm

howzit!
question re veiled chameleon...we have had our female nearly two years now, she has bred successfully several times. This time she really looks ready to explode, but over a week ago she started scratching around in her soil looking like she was about to lay, but then stopped. She hasn't resumed, but is still off her food as is usual before laying, but I am also worried that she is looking slightly dehydrated despite seeing her drink every day. I know that they can become eggbound, and have a book giving drug dosages etc to treat same, but no info as to how to recognise this? I am also worried about her going without food for so long now, as the calcium drain on her body through these sessions must be enormous - have never had a problem with MBD in any of our lizards but again, everything I read describes severe cases, without much info as to how to pick it up early before it becomes irreversible or at least difficult to reverse.
Iggy
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Leos r gr8 » Tue Sep 11, 2007 7:16 pm

I think she is probably fine, just make sure she has water and make sure that she has a nice place to lay (I sent you a PM)
Save a tree - eat a beaver.
Leos r gr8
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Wed Sep 12, 2007 6:38 am

If you can get her to drink one or two drops of liquid calcium that gets absorbed quickly and gives the smooth muscles the energy they need to expel the eggs.

Liquid calcium can be found at most big pet shops where they are sold for birds.

Do not overdose the liquid calcium or else it will cause the heart to stop. This cannot happen with powdered calcium by the way.

A good vet will also be able to inject the chameleon with a calcium solution to assist with laying.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby Trayton » Sat Sep 15, 2007 9:57 pm

iggy- calcimize is a product manufactured by exo terra,i use it and i can personally vouch(or whatever) for thier products...if you see even a hint of mbd get electrodize i have personally seen it reverse (not fully)the effects of mbd on a badly mistreated leopard gecko which has turned out to be a star breeder with absolutely no complications...(i know ...strongly advised against)

apart from it reversing some effects of mbd it also rehydrates stressed animals and boosts thier appetites...i use it consistantly with my geckos and within a week a bad feeder is eating enough food to rival any farmer's appetite.

it truely is good stuff.
Trayton
SA Reptiles Member

Return to Veiled chameleons (Chamaeleo calyptratus)