Eating Ants

Accounts and photos of non-captive reptiles in their natural habitat outside of South Africa. Try to record with your account details such as time of day/night, temperature, weather conditions, lunar cycle, sex, rough age of reptile, and so on.

View Gallery

Eating Ants

Postby Sico » Mon Dec 01, 2008 10:24 pm

Out here in the middle of the Sahara, i have noticed a lot of the geckos we have here (dunno what the species is) and the Agamas, A. agama eat ants. there are a few varieties of ants, some very large ones, and some smaller ones like the normal household black ant. the Agamas and geckos will walk up to a line of ants and just start lapping them up, and during the day the agamas can be seen chasing down some of the larger soldier ants.
is this a common practice for lizards to eat ants, or could it be an adaptive thing here due to the lack of other suitable insect prey? Do beardies eat ants in captivity?
i would have thought that due to the amount of formic acid the ants contain that they would be only occasional prey items as opposed to a staple diet.
any thoughts?
Mark
Good judgment comes from experience. Unfortunately, experience usually comes from bad judgment.
Sico
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Eating Ants

Postby insaniac » Tue Dec 02, 2008 7:20 am

I see a lot of lizards here at home doing exactly the same thing.

I also thought the acid would be more of a deterrant than delicacy, but hey they proved me wrong.

Maybe they adapted to handle the acid like you said...
I may be schizophrenic, but at least I have each other...
insaniac
SA Reptiles Member

Postby fredsmith » Tue Dec 02, 2008 8:01 am

I've seen Agama's eating ants before... Ants have high values protein wise don't they? Experts out there, perhaps you could clear it up?
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.
- Albert Einstein

Fred Smith
fredsmith
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Tue Dec 02, 2008 8:28 am

I see lizards eating termits and flying ants (which are actually also termites I think) but the black ants do not seem to have much nutritional value. They seem rather hard and even if you squash them they dont make much of a mark so how much nutrition is inside that hard body?
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby marc bt » Tue Dec 02, 2008 8:58 am

i used to feed my beardies termites and they did fine! it was like a treat for them once or twice a week just like flyingants,cockeroaches(make sure no poisons have been used near them) and geckos!!
a wiseman once said:"you can give a man a fish and feed him for a day, but teach him how to fish and feed him for the rest of his life.."
marc bt
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Sico » Tue Dec 02, 2008 10:26 am

yeah but termites are not ants. termites are actually closer to cockroaches than ants.
Mark
Good judgment comes from experience. Unfortunately, experience usually comes from bad judgment.
Sico
SA Reptiles Member

Return to Exotic reptile observation records