Michigan Herpetology

Accounts and photos of non-captive reptiles in their natural habitat outside of South Africa. Try to record with your account details such as time of day/night, temperature, weather conditions, lunar cycle, sex, rough age of reptile, and so on.

View Gallery

Re: Michigan Herpetology

Postby Drewbot » Mon Jun 28, 2010 7:33 pm

Here is a Common Snapping Turtle I ran into June 10th 2010, in Clare County, Michigan
He/she was near the road, so I thought I would lure it away. (which I did successfully)

Here is a video of him trying to kill my shoe. Clearly shows the speed of their attack.

Closeup of the same turtle:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Drewbot
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Tue Jun 29, 2010 11:45 am

Looks like it could hurt a finger getting in the way. Hope you got it back to water after this.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby Drewbot » Tue Jun 29, 2010 2:09 pm

The locals still hunt them here in Michigan. They are still very common however, the technique is to find a lake, locate a muskrat lodge dug in the lake's bank, and stick your hand in there, grab the turtle by the tail and pull it out. One such local recieved five stitches on his hand last September, and he was wearing leather gloves.

As far as getting it back to water, just off the road was a swamp, he high-stepped it right down the embankment into the water.
Drewbot
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Drewbot » Mon Jul 12, 2010 4:06 pm

On a side note to Michigan, I was in Florday June 1st, 2010, and after a heavy rainstorm, the resort was overrun by these creatures. Can anyone ID this frog/toad?

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Drewbot
SA Reptiles Member

Previous

Return to Exotic reptile observation records