Grass snake from Uganda

Accounts and photos of non-captive reptiles in their natural habitat outside of South Africa. Try to record with your account details such as time of day/night, temperature, weather conditions, lunar cycle, sex, rough age of reptile, and so on.

View Gallery

Grass snake from Uganda

Postby Sico » Wed Mar 24, 2010 6:21 pm

Today whilst clearing bush for a Seismic survey in Ugandas rift valley close to Lake Albert, our Mulcher drove over this snake.
I assume it is some kind of Skaapsteker... it was 91cm long, and was overall bronze in colour, with a black line running down it's length, about 2/3 of the way towards the bottom of the belly. Can any one ID?

I also came across this skink, which was the second that i saw, the first having run into some thick bush before i could catch it. The first one was more silver in colour, but otherwise identical. Any ID?
Mark
Good judgment comes from experience. Unfortunately, experience usually comes from bad judgment.
Sico
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Grass snake from Uganda

Postby Warren Klein » Wed Mar 24, 2010 6:35 pm

Defiantly a Psammophis sp. interesting line on the ventrals, dont think Ive seen that before.
An inaccurate naturalist is a pest and a danger, forever perpetuating illogical deductions and landing later naturalists in trouble. Damm and blast them all to hell in the most painful way. C.J.P. Ionides
Warren Klein
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Westley Price » Thu Mar 25, 2010 7:42 am

It looks like P. subtaeniatus, although I'm not sure if their distribution extends that far north.

The skink does not look likeTrachylepis, but something shouts Lygosoma, although I'm just guessing.

-Moved-
"I am dying by inches from not having anybody to talk to about insects." - Charles Darwin
Westley Price
Forum gatekeeper

Postby Westley Price » Thu Mar 25, 2010 8:43 am

Did a bit of scratching around and it looks like Lygosoma afrum (Mochlus afer).

But I'm still pretty unsure.

Rather wait for some of the pros to ID it.
"I am dying by inches from not having anybody to talk to about insects." - Charles Darwin
Westley Price
Forum gatekeeper

Postby s'mee » Thu Mar 25, 2010 9:45 pm

The snake falls into the Psammophis mossambicus/siblans/sudanensis(subtaeniatus) complex. This is always a tricky one to resolve, but I would go with P mossambicus.

The lizard is Lygosoma afrum.
If ignorance is bliss, there must be a lot of happy people out there...
s'mee
SA Reptiles Member

Postby armata » Thu Mar 25, 2010 11:36 pm

The snake is Psammophis tritaeniatus. Found a few a few years back in Uganda myself.
' I get my kicks on Route 62 '
armata
SA Reptiles Honorary Member

Return to Exotic reptile observation records