Liberia - Goe Fantro

Accounts and photos of non-captive reptiles in their natural habitat outside of South Africa. Try to record with your account details such as time of day/night, temperature, weather conditions, lunar cycle, sex, rough age of reptile, and so on.

View Gallery

Re: Liberia - Goe Fantro

Postby Sico » Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:07 am

Aplogies for the lack of posts, I have had some computer troubles, I promise to catch up! :)
I caught this beautiful little gal last night on her way up one of the palm trees in the camp. Definately Lamprophis, but i am not sure which one it is. If any of you have any ideas, shout...
She is a pretty olive gray, with distinct facial markings, and a pale cream stripe down the middle of her belly, 209 ventral scales, 48 paired subcaudals, entire anal, Midbody scale count of 21. There are no markings on her flanks at all.

so any ideas on whether this is a L.fuliginosus, L.virgatus, L.lineatus or L.mentalis or something else? ?
Mark
Good judgment comes from experience. Unfortunately, experience usually comes from bad judgment.
Sico
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Wolf777 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 3:03 pm

Very pretty snake, no idea on the ID though.
Wolf777
SA Reptiles Member

Postby s'mee » Wed Jan 26, 2011 8:37 pm

Lamprophis lineatus - all the other species in this complex occurring there have higher midbody scale counts. The shape of the loreal scale also distinguishes it from the other similar species.
If ignorance is bliss, there must be a lot of happy people out there...
s'mee
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Fooble » Wed Jan 26, 2011 8:48 pm

Does Lamprophis lineatus not have the lines all the way down the body unless this varies?
Organized crime comes in more forms than one.
Fooble
Forum gatekeeper

Postby s'mee » Wed Jan 26, 2011 8:53 pm

It varies - not all specimens have the line down the body
If ignorance is bliss, there must be a lot of happy people out there...
s'mee
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Sico » Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:32 pm

Thanks s'mee, i was thinking of lineatus or fuliginosus, but doing some research (pics mostly) they all look every similar from up here and i couldnt find any decent keys to ID with.
appreciated!
Mark
Good judgment comes from experience. Unfortunately, experience usually comes from bad judgment.
Sico
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Sico » Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:38 am

I found this one on one of the pole fences in the camp on Saturday night, it was lurking with the intention of snagging some geckos under one of the lights. I'm not sure what it is, had a decent pair of front fangs, and spent the half hour i had it chewing vigorously on my glove. Midbody scales 21-24, ventrals 248, 49 paired subcaudals and a divided anal.
Mark
Sico
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Pythonodipsas » Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:01 am

Nice find - It looks to me like Blandings Tree Snake Toxicodryas blandingii.
`
If you wanna find out what's behind these cold eyes, you'll just have to claw your way through this disguise.
Roger Waters & David Gilmour - 1979
Pythonodipsas
SAReptiles Techie

Postby Sico » Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:25 am

That's what I first thought as well, but for some reason I had it in my mind that they were uniform brown. I haven't had internet the whole weekend so I wasn't able to google. Cheers!
Mark
Sico
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Sico » Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:29 am

Sorry, to add... Isn't Blanding's a rear-fanged snake? this one is definately front fanged, and pretty well endowed for its size as you can see in pic #2
Mark
Sico
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Pythonodipsas » Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:46 am

I think some rear-fanged snakes have the fangs placed quite far forward. To me the fang looks like its under the eye and not at the front of the mouth.
`
If you wanna find out what's behind these cold eyes, you'll just have to claw your way through this disguise.
Roger Waters & David Gilmour - 1979
Pythonodipsas
SAReptiles Techie

Postby Sico » Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:42 pm

Ok I understand. What is the venom like on them? I've never seen one before and only remember reading about them in books some time ago. Are they similar to the Crotaphopeltis sp?
Here are a couple of moths for you Ledpidophiliacs...
this first one was reasonably large, about 60mm, and pretty well camouflaged. I took the 1st pic without the flash, it looked pretty good...
when i took the 2nd pic with the flash, the areas on the fur which appeared inky black suddenly lit up with the most amazing metallic sheen
a well camouflaged bark mantis on the wall.
Mark
Sico
SA Reptiles Member

Postby WW » Mon Jan 31, 2011 3:04 pm

Sico wrote:Sorry, to add... Isn't Blanding's a rear-fanged snake? this one is definately front fanged, and pretty well endowed for its size as you can see in pic #2

Sico,

That snake is Boiga, most likely a Blanding's. If you look at that pic, you can clearly see a series of smaller teeth on the maxilla in front of the fang - that absolutely identifies that snake as a "rear-fang". Elapids and vipers don't have any smaller teeth on the maxilla in front of the fang. The term "rear-fang" can be a bit misleading - some species have a fairly short maxilla that can be swung forward to a surprising degree, placing the fang under the eye, not that much further back than in many elapids - here is a South American example, Waglerophis merremi:

and see http://www.flickr.com/photos/36524915@N05/4871414324/ for a similar pic for a boomslang.
patience n. the vice of accepting the unacceptable, thereby encouraging further occurrences
WW
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Sico » Mon Jan 31, 2011 3:16 pm

Thanks WW, that makes a lot of sense. Got you a couple of scale clippings of that one as well ;)
Mark
Sico
SA Reptiles Member

Postby WW » Mon Jan 31, 2011 4:40 pm

Brilliant, thanks!
patience n. the vice of accepting the unacceptable, thereby encouraging further occurrences
WW
SA Reptiles Member

PreviousNext

Return to Exotic reptile observation records