Uganda Jaunt - a sequel

Accounts and photos of non-captive reptiles in their natural habitat outside of South Africa. Try to record with your account details such as time of day/night, temperature, weather conditions, lunar cycle, sex, rough age of reptile, and so on.

View Gallery

Re: Uganda Jaunt - a sequel

Postby zetik » Fri Nov 15, 2013 5:02 pm

Another snake which was foolish enough to show itself on a road in a community area... usual fate.
One of the guys took this couple months ago on a phone so very low quality and he didn't know to get any close up shots.
Anyone have a stab at a species?

20130724_150103.jpg

And still hoping for help on the birds. I'll pick up a bird book in a couple of months and stop being so useless on them. Hopefully.

I've plenty more snake pics so will keep posting them as I can get round to prepping them to the 800 pixel limits.

z
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
zetik
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Kennyakagera » Fri Nov 15, 2013 9:36 pm

Hi Zetik,

From top to bottom, I speak under correction but I would say

Brown snake eagle
Wattled lapwing
Black bellied bustard
Verreaux's eagle owl
Juvenile fish eagle.

Regard
Kenny.
East African Herpetofauna Group.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/662521540444058/
Kennyakagera
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Kev » Fri Nov 15, 2013 10:48 pm

I agree with Kenny.
Although I'm more used to a lapwing being a plover and the busted a korhaan but they are the same thing at the end of the day.
Kev
SA Reptiles Member

Postby zetik » Sat Nov 16, 2013 5:10 am

Thanks Kenny and Kev, would have taken a while to get most of those even with 'the book'. Seen a few adult fish eagles here - never would have guessed the juvenile one although seems obvious now that you've ID'd it.
Any thoughts on the snake - difficult I guess since someone obviously didn't like it's face and no scale in the pic. Alright, plenty of scales, before someone else says it, but you know what I mean. Based on the pic before cropped, length was at least a meter. Maybe, of the darker snakes, could start with what it is not? I see some white marking starting on ventrals near the head.

Jumping to a jumper...

P1020173.JPG

saw this stuck in pit last night. Actually not much of a hopper at all. Preferred to freeze and pretend I couldn't see him, whilst he sat on my finger.
Have a little sand snake waiting to find a new home in the bush but didn't have the heart to give it this snack. Anyway the sand snake already has a bit of a belly bulge, so can wait and find its own meal.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
zetik
SA Reptiles Member

Previous

Return to Exotic reptile observation records