Sierra Leone Snakes for ID

Accounts and photos of non-captive reptiles in their natural habitat outside of South Africa. Try to record with your account details such as time of day/night, temperature, weather conditions, lunar cycle, sex, rough age of reptile, and so on.

View Gallery

Sierra Leone Snakes for ID

Postby zetik » Sat Nov 09, 2013 10:15 pm

Hi,
still have some pics to post on Uganda thread but snowed under with work.
Meanwhile also would love to have some suggestions on what these are...
first one found extremely bashed on the road - Freetown Peninsula near bush/forest. Was already a bit ripe and did not get all the shots I should have. Paired sub caudals, didn't check or pic caudal I'm afraid. Do have some more pics if of use/interest.
WA2.jpg

WA 1.jpg

IMG_0086.jpg

z
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
zetik
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Sierra Leone Snakes for ID

Postby zetik » Sat Nov 09, 2013 10:25 pm

Couple of these were regularly in ceiling space very near the beach. Long, thin, very fast. This was the only pic I got. It got away fast when I tried to pull it down.
Fortunate really as would have been hard to stop it being killed by the residents as had happened to others before. Looks like a sand snake I presume but any suggestions which one?
P1020638.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
zetik
SA Reptiles Member

Postby zetik » Sat Nov 09, 2013 10:46 pm

Found under tree on sandy beach/lagoon area (Freetown Peninsula - as are all the above) and not behaving very healthily. Maybe dropped by a bird. I carried it around for a day in a bottle waiting to photograph it, but it died before show time. Big fangs for a littleun.
Length estimated over 30cm.
A burrower I presume and I have a guess at species but no ref book with me so I'd rather leave it to those wiser than I.

IMG_0575.jpg

IMG_0581.jpg

IMG_0593.jpg
zetik
SA Reptiles Member

Postby wadekilian » Sat Nov 09, 2013 11:18 pm

I can't really narrow them down, but the second snake is a Psammophis sp. and the last one is a Stiletto Snake - Atractaspis sp.

I stand to be corrected.
073 815 4741
BBM - 296fe3c5
wadekilian@yahoo.com
wadekilian
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Kakibos » Sun Nov 10, 2013 12:07 am

I would say the first snake is a Boomslang, agree with wadekilian on Psammophis sp for the second and also Stiletto snake for the last three pics.
Kakibos
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Warren Klein » Sun Nov 10, 2013 10:47 am

The ripe one is a Black tree snake Thrasops jacksoni
An inaccurate naturalist is a pest and a danger, forever perpetuating illogical deductions and landing later naturalists in trouble. Damm and blast them all to hell in the most painful way. C.J.P. Ionides
Warren Klein
SA Reptiles Member

Postby zetik » Sun Nov 10, 2013 12:34 pm

Thanks very much everyone for the feedback.
Got hold of my Spawls East Africa - and the Chippaux West Africa books although the latter still a major struggle given my lack of French reading skills. May have to find time to chuck descriptions through google translator.
I see in Spawls a description of common confusion between Boomslang and Thrasops. I can confirm I did delve around looking for fangs and took pics and couldn't see/feel anything (with a stick!).
zetik
SA Reptiles Member

Postby s'mee » Sun Nov 10, 2013 10:26 pm

The first one is Thrasops occidentalis - T jacksoni does not occur that far west.

The snake in the ceiling looks to be Psammophis elegans from what I can see.

The last one is Attractaspis atterima.
If ignorance is bliss, there must be a lot of happy people out there...
s'mee
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Westley Price » Mon Nov 11, 2013 7:16 am

Jis, Stilettos are probably one of the more scary snakes for me and your picture of fangs just shows exactly why!

Just for your future reference, that picture which you took of the underside of the tail is a great picture to aid in identification because there are quite a few harmless snakes that look near-identical to Atractaspis, but the scale covering the cloaca differs.

Thanx for the post.
"I am dying by inches from not having anybody to talk to about insects." - Charles Darwin
Westley Price
Forum gatekeeper

Postby zetik » Mon Nov 11, 2013 4:09 pm

Yep, in Uganda I've encountered several darkish burrowers over the last few months and I assume every one is a stilleto until I'm 100% sure on the ID. Never had to deal with those species before and the descriptions of their biting abilities and frequency of bites to experienced handlers leave me edgy.
Thanks for advice on pics - I do always try to make sure I've got a decent shot of anal scale and subcaudals. Can be a mission sometimes when still not sure if its venemous so I'm dissapointed that I missed it for the Thrasops when it was dead. Ahem. Just as well it seems wasn't required in that case.

Really appreciate the feedback from everyone. Thanks Smee for narrowing down the ID's further. Not sure when I'll be back that way but hope to find some more snakes, even if most likely to be road kill.
zetik
SA Reptiles Member

Return to Exotic reptile observation records