DRC python

Accounts and photos of non-captive reptiles in their natural habitat outside of South Africa. Try to record with your account details such as time of day/night, temperature, weather conditions, lunar cycle, sex, rough age of reptile, and so on.

View Gallery

DRC python

Postby Southernprints » Tue Apr 29, 2014 9:37 pm

My husband works in the DRC on a gold mine and this critter was fished out of one of the ponds this morning. They put it on the back of the pick up to let it go in the bush. I thought it was kind of great that everyone let it go unharmed. Gorgeous markings. My husband says it was about 2.2m. I have been trying to google species found in the DRC but can't pinpoint what species. Any help?!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Southernprints
SA Reptiles Member

Re: DRC python

Postby Westley Price » Tue Apr 29, 2014 10:30 pm

This is a tricky one because both P. natalensis and P/ sebae occur in the DRC. I also spent some time there and only found natalensis.

Having said that, this snake looks more like P. sebae. I say that because of the dark, broad patch in front of its eye, which natalensis lacks.

Very cool of them to let it go healthy. All the ones I found were killed and eaten :(
"I am dying by inches from not having anybody to talk to about insects." - Charles Darwin
Westley Price
Forum gatekeeper

Postby Bushviper » Wed Apr 30, 2014 11:57 am

Okay for those who dont know scientific names what Westley means is that it is a Rock python. Quite possibly the Northern Rock python and not the Natal Rock python. Glad to see it went back to the bush. Well done.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby Southernprints » Wed Apr 30, 2014 3:51 pm

Thanks guys, it helps having a genus and species to go with on the internet and even easier having a common name :) but very much appreciated!
Southernprints
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Poepstring » Thu May 01, 2014 4:28 am

Hi Southernprints,

where in DRC? was it perhaps Banro Mine close to Bukavo?
Poepstring
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Southernprints » Tue May 06, 2014 3:27 pm

Indeed it was.
Southernprints
SA Reptiles Member

Return to Exotic reptile observation records