My favorite shots from this summer

Accounts and photos of non-captive reptiles in their natural habitat outside of South Africa. Try to record with your account details such as time of day/night, temperature, weather conditions, lunar cycle, sex, rough age of reptile, and so on.

View Gallery

My favorite shots from this summer

Postby croteseeker » Sat Aug 23, 2014 8:44 pm

Fall is coming up on us pretty fast here in Northern Michigan. I thought I'd give an update on some of the stuff I've been seeing this summer before I get too engrossed in the end-of-the-season rush. Not all of these are shots of herps but, collectively, they show a pretty good cross section of this summer's herping.

Liochlorophis vernalis

Rana pipiens

Fallow doe

Eumeces fasciatus, adult

and juvenile

Lampropeltis triangulum

Thamnophis sirtalis

Chrysemys picta

Whitetail doe

Rana sylvatica

Thanks for looking, guys. Happy herping. :-)
" a squat, scaly worm with, 'don't touch,' on one end and, 'that's why,' on the other."

-Thomas Palmer
croteseeker
SA Reptiles Member

Re: My favorite shots from this summer

Postby Saturn » Sat Aug 23, 2014 11:58 pm

Those are some beautiful shots man! The last shot was beautifully captured. What camera are you using by the way?
Saturn
SA Reptiles Member

Postby S73PH » Sun Aug 24, 2014 8:24 am

Great shots, a beautiful landsacpe and some marvelous creatures.
S73PH
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Herald_23 » Sun Aug 24, 2014 10:11 am

Absolutely stunning shots! Are the deer just tame or were you just a really patient photographer? ;) Beautiful out there!
The lion does not fear the jackal
Herald_23
SA Reptiles Member

Postby jka » Sun Aug 24, 2014 4:23 pm

Great posts! Probably the best one this month.

Its always nice seeing wild "exotic snakes".
Evolution is an imperfect and often violent process. A battle between what exists, and what is yet to be born.
jka
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Sun Aug 24, 2014 5:50 pm

Everything looks so velvety and green. Soon it will get all chilly I guess.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby croteseeker » Mon Aug 25, 2014 4:47 am

Thanks, guys. :D

Saturn, my camera really isn't anything special. It's a Fuji Finepix S4830.

Herald, I wish I could call it patience, but it's usually just pure dumb luck. A lifetime of big game hunting has left me with a very quiet stride, so I usually walk right up on these animals before either of us has a chance to realize it. That shot of the whitetail, though, is special to me because that's the first deer that I've actually hunted and ambushed with a camera. After I jumped her and failed to get a shot off, I quickly moved around the swamp that she bolted into and laid in wait at a spot on the other side where the game trails all converge and head into a cornfield. Less than five minutes later, I took that shot. Truth told, it was just good luck that I managed to get the damn camera focused. I'm much better prepared to use a rifle in that situation.

On average, I'd say less than one percent of my total shots pass my final inspection. Most fall into the same category; "the narrow miss." Beautiful composition and behavioral documentation, minus my god-awful camera work. :lol:

Here are two "narrow misses" from today:

Whitetail fawn

Rawr!!!
" a squat, scaly worm with, 'don't touch,' on one end and, 'that's why,' on the other."

-Thomas Palmer
croteseeker
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Westley Price » Mon Aug 25, 2014 8:42 am

Great post with some awesome pictures!

That R. pipiens is one gorgeous frog.

I am always amazed at how remarkably similar animals evolved 1000s of kms (or miles;)) apart. Looking at your Eumeces fasciatus, they look near-identical to our Trachylepis margaritifera, even down to the keeled scales (or am I imagining keeled scales from your photos?)
"I am dying by inches from not having anybody to talk to about insects." - Charles Darwin
Westley Price
Forum gatekeeper

Postby Mitton » Mon Aug 25, 2014 9:21 am

Great post and stunning pictures. Love the 4th picture.
www.moreliapythons.co.za
Mitton
Forum gatekeeper

Postby croteseeker » Tue Aug 26, 2014 2:36 am

Thanks, Mitton. Aside from the last one, that's my favorite, too. :D

Wes, I've often made similar comparisons, but it's funny you bring that up with this species, in particular. With these, it's actually considered good form to refer to them informally as the American Five-lined skink, in order to differentiate between them and your own Five-lined skinks (both quinquetaeniata and, especially, margaritifera.) Regarding their scutellation, they're actually very smooth scaled. I know their scales are pretty wide and pointy, and they look for all the world like they should be keeled, but they're actually as smooth as glass.

-Thomas Palmer
croteseeker
SA Reptiles Member

Postby froot » Mon Sep 01, 2014 10:25 am

The beauty of that region makes up for it's bitter winters.
On the subject of similar characteristics evolved 1000's miles apart, years ago I noticed remarkable similarities between our Aparallactus sp. and the American Tantilla sp., both appearance and habits. There must be a scientific term for this sort of thing.

Thanks for the great pics, less than 1% acceptable photo hit rate sounds about right for me too. Good thing we're past the age of film photography and muzzle loaders.
We salute the improvement of the human genome by honoring those who remove themselves from it.
Of necessity, this honor is generally bestowed posthumously. - www.darwinawards.com
froot
Founder Member

Return to Exotic reptile observation records