Middle East Snakes - suggested ID's please?

Accounts and photos of non-captive reptiles in their natural habitat outside of South Africa. Try to record with your account details such as time of day/night, temperature, weather conditions, lunar cycle, sex, rough age of reptile, and so on.

View Gallery

Middle East Snakes - suggested ID's please?

Postby zetik » Mon Nov 28, 2016 7:10 pm

Hallo,
as is usually my lot, most snakes/snake pics I come across are of battered specimens...
Can anyone help with ID of the following two individuals?

P1050027.JPG

IMG_5414 lwr.JPG

IMG_5414 upr.JPG

Z
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
zetik
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Middle East Snakes - suggested ID's please?

Postby Westley Price » Tue Nov 29, 2016 12:59 pm

Hi There

Your first and third snakes are both Spalerosophis diadema, and I suspect the second snake might be Coronella austriaca, although I am not sure about the distribution.
"I am dying by inches from not having anybody to talk to about insects." - Charles Darwin
Westley Price
Forum gatekeeper

Re: Middle East Snakes - suggested ID's please?

Postby zetik » Tue Nov 29, 2016 7:10 pm

Thanks a lot for the ID's Westley.
The location is southern Iraq.
Most comprehensive guide I've found on web is "Geographical distribution of the snakes of Iraq" Israa Nadhim Habeeb, Nasrullah Rastegar-Pouyani.
That reference lists Spalerosophis diadema as known in Iraq but not the Coronella austriaca. However, elsewhere on web I found mention of Coronella austriaca extending as far west as Iran which would mean could potentially be in Iraq also of course. I think there may be some more pics available of that one and will post them if any better.
Hopefully I'll be able to remove (and photograph) some alive in future...
zetik
SA Reptiles Member

Return to Exotic reptile observation records